which plants do you regret planting the most?

cordyman

Re: which plants do you regret planting the most?

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Ade, your worrying me now!!, i have 25/30 different variaties planted around the garden & some of them are already 25ft tall. i only have a few fargesia muralli jumbo's & a few kimmie, the rest are the phyllosachys family & a big grove of arrow bamboo. the thing is with bamboo, i think of it as an investment as in a few years i can dig some up repot & sell on. The other thing is you can have a grove as big or small as you require. karl.

The thing I found Karl, and this was only a 6 foot tall arrow bamboo in the back of my garden in dry ground...

Is actually digging out and seperating the monsters, nearly broke me spade and it really wasnt an easy task.

Dread to think how i'd control 25/30 LOL!
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

Himalayan Balsam - Although i didnt plant this, this is now everywhere on my estate, the seeds get everywhere. They just self seed more and more each year. :lol:
Attachments
gh.jpg
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, i know what you mean about the arrow bamboo as i dug this culm out from a friends garden!!, i had this one for free so if i decide to get rid in a couple of years its no loss. you must remember though that japonica arrow bamboo is know to be the most rampant of them all. Apart from my vivax autacalis x2 which can grow big, the others are classed as none invasive or moderate spreaders, i would much prefer to see my bamboos than lines of conifers which they replaced!. I shall use a sharp 6 inch chisel & take out sections i dont require every couple of years & sell them to members on here at a big discount. karl.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

no regrets so far icon_thumleft

plenty of room for some in future if any or your lists are somethign to go by :lol:
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Houttuynia cordata. I have become quite careful about planting invasive stuff unchecked but this one caught me out. Nice looking but not well behaved and proving difficult to eradicate.

Phormium tenax, I just know that I'm going to regret planting this. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon...
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Sasa palmata in what is best described as a 'rain forest border', twenty years ago. I've spent the last ten years trying to eradicate it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Mick C wrote:Houttuynia cordata.

mine hasn't come back this year, i'd suggest ringing the patch off and dropping slugs in until it's dead.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

GREVILLE wrote:Sasa palmata in what is best described as a 'rain forest border', twenty years ago. I've spent the last ten years trying to eradicate it.
Haha, I'd guess that after 10 years it was probably best described simply as a 'rain forest'?

I've got no regrets so far, although I have bought 3 S. palmata this year so that could change in time. :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Himalayan balsam looks really nice..pity its a weed Lee!

:mrgreen:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

oxalis
kata

Post by kata »

Oxalis is nice FF

Its supposed to be poisonous but its a dainty plant for rockeries.

icon_cheers
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

I planted sedum coral carpet in the garden of our old home. It started popping everywhere within about 6 months. We had a falling out with the old landlord around the time we moved out so I just left it. Hope he's having fun removing it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i planted three of those last year and none of them saw christmas icon_scratch icon_scratch
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Mr List wrote:
Mick C wrote:Houttuynia cordata.

mine hasn't come back this year, i'd suggest ringing the patch off and dropping slugs in until it's dead.
I like the lateral thinking! :D

However it's already coming up in other clumps of plants a couple of feet away from where it started. You're probably lucky that your one didn't come back this year.

Besides, where would I get the slugs from? :roll:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I regret planting my Phoenix canariensis, as at the time I was renting the house & thought I would dig it up when I moved & I never thought about it getting big. Then we ended up buying the house & now it has sort of taken over the garden, it's not so bad now that it's 'going up' but I have to keep it "pineapple" pruned & it's soon going to cause problems with my Washingtonia as the trunks are close to touching :? My other half wants me to chop it down, which I know would give more room in the garden, but I don't have the heart to do it!