Wood Pidgeons on the rise!

Panama Pete

Wood Pidgeons on the rise!

Post by Panama Pete »

Im over run by wood pidgeons at the moment, every year Ive been in this house Ive noticed an increase in pidgeon. There pecking tree fern fronds and wrecking my dahlia. Anybody else experiencing the same, or do they just like Nottingham?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Wood Pidgeons on the rise!

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Panama Pete wrote:Im over run by wood pidgeons at the moment, every year Ive been in this house Ive noticed an increase in pidgeon. There pecking tree fern fronds and wrecking my dahlia. Anybody else experiencing the same, or do they just like Nottingham?

They are certainly on the rise. I think they were quite scarce back in the day but very common now.
Conifers

Re: Wood Pigeons on the rise!

Post by Conifers »

Pigeon, no 'd' :wink:

Yep, definitely getting more numerous:
© BTO
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, they are a real pain here, mainly because they cr@p everywhere! Many people i know have mentioned issues with them this year, one colleague has invested in an air rifle and no longer has the problem!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have real pigeon problems, first of all my neighbours either side of me both feed the wild birds and I have nothing against this in fact I encourage this but the type of feed they use and the type of feeders result in more of the grain and seed ending up on the floor attracting rodents and giving the pigeons a no stop banquet to clean up. The result is they do not need to look for food and all they do is hang around sitting all in a row on top of my greenhouses which results in having to clean off all the mess very regularly and doing damage in my veg patch among other things. Some are wood pigeons and some are the biggest fattest common pigeons you have ever seen because of all this free on tap food and my neighbours attitude is to take the good with the bad and turn a blind eye to it but both their gardens are a compleat tip anyway to tell you the truth so I can not see anything changing.
Last edited by JBALLY on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Loads of wood pidgeons here in Southampton?

Also I get lots of Collered doves and a few turtle doves +the occasional rock dove.

I have also seen a huge increase in carrion crows and ravens.

As I love birds this is very welcome news indeed.

rgds billdango icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

damn, i was just thinking this very question two days ago, and thinking "is it just me thats noticing lots more pigeons?"

thanks for letting me know im not insane.

yes, theyre everywhere, big fat rodents!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

When I was a kid, wood pigeons were only moderately common on farm land and were exceptionally nervous, rapidly taking to the air for almost any reason. In those days they were shot on sight because of the damage they caused. Now, nobody shoots them any more and they're almost as common as feral pigeons. They just look at you as you walk past them and you can almost pick the f****rs up they're so laid back.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Had none here two years ago and now they're everywhere. A family of crows came in and stole their nest but that only resulted in them moving up the garden and crapping over my kids toys. I've managed to pop 2 of the barstewards so i'm getting there, slowly.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

On the rise indeed! Made all the worse by the fact that we're surrounding by woodland.

During the four years that we've lived here there's always been a couple hanging around. This year has been a concern though as we now have dozens perfectly at home in our garden. Ditto to everything JBALLY said earlier - we've got a careless neighbour happy to feed anything. The idiot seemed quite pleased when someone mentioned they'd seen rats having a banquet on his gravel.

In the last few weeks, a consortium of local Pigeons have decided to have team meetings on our roof. You know they're up there - they have all the grace of a flying concrete block and the polite consideration of the Ukraine supporters! :lol:

As much as I hate the idea, it's getting to the point where I'm having to seriously consider the option of reducing their numbers. Could someone clarify the legal issues of removing Wood Pigeons from your land please?

BTW. Did anyone see Winbledon's Harris Hawk pigeon deterrent on BBC news this morning? Now there's a thought. :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Came down this morning to see a sparrowhawk sat on our fence. Long may he visits continue, it might just keep the horrible pigeons away. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

JBALLY wrote:I have real pigeon problems, first of all my neighbours either side of me both feed the wild birds and I have nothing against this in fact I encourage this but the type of feed they use and the type of feeders result in more of the grain and seed ending up on the floor attracting rodents and giving the pigeons a no stop banquet to clean up. The result is they do not need to look for food and all they do is hang around sitting all in a row on top of my greenhouses which results in having to clean off all the mess very regularly and doing damage in my veg patch among other things. Some are wood pigeons and some are the biggest fattest common pigeons you have ever seen because of all this free on tap food and my neighbours attitude is to take the good with the bad and turn a blind eye to it but both their gardens are a compleat tip anyway to tell you the truth so I can not see anything changing.
Suspend garden netting over the roof. Job done.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

here too, the eat all the feed we put out for the little cute birdies
dino

Post by dino »

If it's not the Wood Pigeons it's the bloody squirrels :(
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

I get a lot of wood and collared pigeons too. They used to be destructive, but ever since i have started putting seed out for them, they have been well behaved.