Tacca (Batflowers)

carolpz

Tacca (Batflowers)

Post by carolpz »

I fancy one of these but have never seen a real one, only images. Does anyone have any experience of growing them, how large, what conditions etc.?
Stevo

Re: Tacca (Batflowers)

Post by Stevo »

Yeah, I tried a few times and they are difficult in my experience.

I think I read somewhere that they take an age to flower as well.

But I would say they are still worth a try as they are stunning. Good luck!
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

you can buy rhizomes from here-only place ive ever seen them, but ive not tried growing them myself

http://himalayangardens.com/categories/ ... ower).html
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

They had some large flowering ones at a local GC last year, impressive blooms, but quite big and 'leggy' overall and a bit uninspiring out of bloom :(
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Probably not much help to you Carol but Ive grown plenty over the years and a few different species. At the moment Ive only got 3 T. chantrieri all grown from seed from a now dead mother plant. I had hundreds of them at one stage! Gave heaps away and lost a few I planted in the garden to oafish dogs :roll: now just got the 3 nice plants in pots. They are dead easy to grow here in the tropics and we even have a native Tacca (T. leontopetaloides) that grows in the forest all around, it has a curious green flower...
Attachments
TaccaLeontopetaloides03-240.jpg
TaccaLeontopetaloides03-240.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes I had a nice one a few years back, I got it from Hampton Court flower show and it was about to flower at the time so I had a great plant for that summer. I tried to winter it in a heated greenhouse but it didnt come through. They get quite big for house plants.
Fieldfest suggested a site to buy rhizomes (not sure if I can say this or not as Dave mentioned something the other day but...) bargepole touch and dont all come to mind, I have been stung twice.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Adrian wrote: Fieldfest suggested a site to buy rhizomes (not sure if I can say this or not as Dave mentioned something the other day but...) bargepole touch and don't all come to mind, I have been stung twice.
I'll second that - not the best of sources for tricky plants like these! They are extremely difficult to grow from dormant or even emergent rhizomes and need just the right amount of heat. light and humidity. Get any one of those wrong in any order you choose and they fail to grow. Far better to get a plant that is already growing strongly ... and even then success is not assured.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Many thanks for all tour help. I wasn't aware they were so tender but I may try to source a growing one and try it out. I have a heated greenhouse but, as you say, it may not survive. Still if I don't try I won't know will I? :)
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

carolpz wrote:Many thanks for all tour help. I wasn't aware they were so tender but I may try to source a growing one and try it out. I have a heated greenhouse but, as you say, it may not survive. Still if I don't try I won't know will I? :)
Good attitude I say! Go for it and let us know how you get on.

I may even try one again myself.
richard49

Tacca (Batflowers)

Post by richard49 »

I have some Tacca plants (rhizomes) and have them in pots with a lot of tree bark, Orchid compost and a little seed compost.

I'm happy with the soil mix as when I water them the water runs, almost, straight through. I'm also keeping them just moist as the last time I tried to grow them I kept them too wet and they rotted on me.

As I have the rhizomes potted up, how long might I expect to wait (given the right growing conditions) before I see any signs of growth?

Also, I know that the plants, in leaf, require shade but do the rhizomes require shade as well?

Does anyone know where I can get Tacca plants that are already growing from as I can't, as yet, find anywhere?

I'm in the UK.

Any advise would be very welcome.
GREVILLEAJ

Tacca (Batflowers)

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Himalayan Gardens.com carry a few Tacca from their online nursery
richard49

Tacca (Batflowers)

Post by richard49 »

Thank you for your prompt reply; that's where I got my rhizomes from.

I'm just trying to find out if I'm looking after them correctly & how long it might be before I see sings if growth.

I planted them on the 21st of March this year.