Brugmansia and Stuff

DiCasS

Brugmansia and Stuff

Post by DiCasS »

Just come off my hols expecting my Brug and other things in the garden to be flattened/shredded/mashed to pieces as we heard about the flooding /hail and continual torrential rain whilst away. First thing I did when I dropped my case off was go and have a look at my garden. I just couldn't believe it, lots of things seem to have grown so much, and was pleasantly surprised that the Brugs that I put out before going away now has nice big buds on so fingers crossed will have some nice flowers. Never really grown these before and am really impressed with the rate of growth, was a scruffy few inch tall plant when I received it, and now in it's pot it must be six ft and plenty of buds. Leaves look a bit pale though, what should I use for healthy brugs. I've got miracle grow, (seaweed extract), tomorite and I'm sure I put those osmorite cluster thingies in the soil when I put the plant in its final pot a few weeks ago. What next and how much to feed?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Brugmansia and Stuff

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

DiCasS wrote:Just come off my hols expecting my Brug and other things in the garden to be flattened/shredded/mashed to pieces as we heard about the flooding /hail and continual torrential rain whilst away. First thing I did when I dropped my case off was go and have a look at my garden. I just couldn't believe it, lots of things seem to have grown so much, and was pleasantly surprised that the Brugs that I put out before going away now has nice big buds on so fingers crossed will have some nice flowers. Never really grown these before and am really impressed with the rate of growth, was a scruffy few inch tall plant when I received it, and now in it's pot it must be six ft and plenty of buds. Leaves look a bit pale though, what should I use for healthy brugs. I've got miracle grow, (seaweed extract), tomorite and I'm sure I put those osmorite cluster thingies in the soil when I put the plant in its final pot a few weeks ago. What next and how much to feed?

Di

Brugs quite like the cooler conditions that we get in the UK rather than the dry heat of places like continental Europe so should still grow well this year, even in less than ideal conditons for us humans!

Feed Brugs loads; weak Miracle Grow with every watering plus some tomato feed every so often. I'm sure others will use all sorts of special ingredients to get super plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Glad the plants were looking good on your return Di icon_thumright

Also plenty of Epsom salts (magnesium) to keep the plant green. Miracle gro does not contain any magnesium :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

My Brugs started to take off now went yellow back in march i have buds also Dicass .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine have been in flower for about 2 weeks now
Attachments
2012-07-01-10-52-58 Brug Flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine is identical to yours, Dave, but has been in flower since the end of May. Do you know the name of your variety?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

mine are twigs with small buds/leaves icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

same here , i need a conservatory or a greenhouse for a brug here i think.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

A greenhouse is on my list for this winter....I am in the middle of clearing area for a little one.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Can we see some pics? What colour are they?

I tend to find all my plants drooping and frazzled when I get home. All the flowers go over before I get a chance to see them and I discover pots of who knows what all nicely crisped up. I think I'd do better to go away in the winter. Essex in January isn't inspiring though!

Would epsom salts work for other plants with pale leaves? I've got some unexotic Hydrangeas (sorry) that are a bit yellow this year & feeding hasn't really helped.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Kris/Dave.

Osmorite - forget that, I meant osmocote :roll:

Went out and bought the epsom salts this afternoon and treated my brugs. Gave them a little miracle grow as well. Looking at your plant Dave, the leaves look a lot greener than on mine.

Jo, no pics from me, as mine are not flowering yet, but would like to see others too. All I know is mine supposed to be yellow flowers, but never came with a name. Also did a bit of exaggeration, more like 5ft not 6ft. :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:Mine is identical to yours, Dave, but has been in flower since the end of May. Do you know the name of your variety?
This is the second flush Greville, the first was destroyed by gales, which literally smashed the flowers :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

These are my Brugs. Still only seedlings yet. I bought them off Pdid a few weeks ago for a couple of quid each. They were just small plugs but i re-potted them and they`ve rocketed away. Looking very healthy to me.
Cheers Pdid icon_thumleft
Attachments
2012-07-04 21.40.24.jpg
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Andy P wrote:These are my Brugs. Still only seedlings yet.
Looking good :) My advice is to not let them get pot bound and expect them to be 8' tall before they flower - and suggest that you aim to take cuttings (from flowering wood) in the Autumn so that you get plants that will flower at lower height [next year] - unless you have somewhere where you can over winter 8' plants?! as if you cut them back to old "juvenile" wood they will have to regrow to "adult" wood next year before starting to flower.

Feed them like you want to make them fat & obese :)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cheers Kristen. icon_thumleft These are my first Brugmansias so i`ve no idea really how long it would take for them to reach about 8ft. Judging from their growth rate since i`ve had them though, i would imagine that`s not very long. I know Ricinus grow fast but these are growing even faster than them. :shock: