£15.99 Trachys in Ikea

gdudey

Re: £15.99 Trachys in Ikea

Post by gdudey »

In Lakeside retail park too. I bought the biggest one they had, its only just got a trunk. Which is fine for me as I wanted to plant one in the ground but didn't want have to dig up a large tree when we eventually move in a few years.

And don't be put off by the coir, its only a mulch. There is nice fast draining soil mix underneath.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stocking up on the 2quid breakfast before hunting down the mighty trachcarpus ikea fortunei

gdudey

Post by gdudey »

:lol:

One of my work colleagues took a lady out on date there. £2 meatballs and mash, classy.
Al

Post by Al »

gdudey wrote::lol:

One of my work colleagues took a lady out on date there. £2 meatballs and mash, classy.

absolutely nowt wrong with that!! although i would of chose the fries and berries instead of the mash. :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Bought x2, be rude not too, be great to see it grow and finally have an outdoor "ikea" palm LOL

Got a £3.99 orchid too, doesnt look real :shock:

Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

what one is your local dino? I was thinking of trying the coventry one today
dino

Post by dino »

Jamesyoung wrote:what one is your local dino? I was thinking of trying the coventry one today
It's Wedsbury Junction 9 M6 James. How did you get on in Cov?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Those fortuneis are bang on planting out size, all of my best and fastest ones went in that size.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Ok....time for me to eat humble pie :roll: I did say they looked like they'd been grown under false light!...so I went back today to the wednesbury Ikea to have another look, They had lots on trollies that were smaller than the ones I saw the other week, I wasn't going to bother with them until I saw some on a display stand about 6 foot up in the air, they'd obviously put the three biggest and best Trachycarpus's up there on show......not any more......they're on my patio icon_thumleft I will say tho' they do seem slightly different to my others, slight 'teeth' on the stems, not as pronounced as on a chammy but definately more so than my other tf's, also they seem to have quite stiff leaves! I can even do the waggy trick where you bend them and then just 'pop' them back into place icon_scratch can't be a bad thing, but just.....different. Anybody else noticed this?
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

I am now wondering if these tf's are actually fortunei/wagnerianus hybrids icon_scratch The ones I picked up today seem very very waggy like!!! I'm not complaining :D :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

tropical Tom wrote:I am now wondering if these tf's are actually fortunei/wagnerianus hybrids icon_scratch The ones I picked up today seem very very waggy like!!! I'm not complaining :D :D

look at my 3rd pic up, very stiff leaves, similar stiffness to my Italian Villagio Verde Trachycarpus.

I also noticed the little teeth, which seemed more pronounced then my other trachys. Hmmmmmmmmmm
dino

Post by dino »

Either way a good buy. Wish I was on commission now :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Keith, did they have much stock left?, if so i may have to grab a few for stock!! :lol: . karl.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Yes Karl, loads left, you just have to sort through to get the biggest! they're on a trolley, but look close by and you'll see some on display on the back wall, they seem to have put the biggest chunkiest ones there. I'd try and get there before the weekend, it was nice and quiet yesterday icon_salut
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok m8, i've got a quote to do later this afternoon over that way so i'll pop & have a look. karl.