A Canary Twitter

GREVILLE

Re: A Canary Twitter

Post by GREVILLE »

Nothing like the selection of 'Canarius' palms they had last year at the nursery. Just came away with a small Dypsis decaryii for 7 euros. There were about twenty palms in 3inch pots, mostly chamaerops and a few other dypsis species. Bought a couple of shrubs in 6inch pots which if allowed to dry before going home shouldn't be too heavy in the cases. A Cassia didymybotrya and an Acalypha. I also got a stunning little Croton in a 3 inch pot with long leaves that I've never seen in the UK.

For 4 euros I got a three foot tall bushy Oleander with a huge spray of vivid deep red flowers. This was a present for a friend here but I took off some cutting material to take home. I'm starting the rooting process off by sticking them in a jar of water. Not a bad haul for 21 euros.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Greville, i went there last year on a sunday & they were closed!!, someone mentioned they could be moving as there is a lot of new construction taking place around there. karl.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, Karl. The nursery is still going strong. They're building an extension to the GC1 motorway and the 50 foot pillars supporting the raised roadway are standing on adjacent land. If you try again on another visit you'll be passing under the motorway to get to the entrance.

I took some pics at the nursery on the phone but loading them up is proving a bit of a nightmare at the moment.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Interesting prices at the Viveros nursery. A whole section of mostly tropical palms in roughly 40 to 60 litre tubs all full of roots and some varieties (mostly Syagrus) up to 5 metres tall were all priced at 75 euros (just over £60).They included Bismarkias, Latania, Livistona and the Hyophorbes as well as thickly stemmed Dypsis lutescens at 3m tall and fabulous Roystoneas. All these would be eye-watering bargains compared to their prices in the UK. Yet, included in the range were bog standard Phoenix canariensis up to 2m tall for the same price. These would be on par with UK prices and yet they are native plants icon_scratch There are some larger specimens of all these items in much bigger containers with identical prices and the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is identically priced the same way.

Other drool-making bargains are to be found amongst the climbers where a whole range of 2m high multiple stemmed subjects in 7.5 litre pots all cost 6 euros. You can get dozens of varieties of Bougainvillea, Allemanda, Stephanotis and Mandevillea.

There is also huge range of Cacti and Succulents starting at 75 cents for little items in 2 inch pots to large tree-like Euphorbias at 100 euros.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Meant to mention that this nursery in Puerto Mogan stocks that most exotic of plants - the Rose :shock: Can't see these lasting more than a few years in this heat.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Have you been tempted by any of the bargains at all? Are there any large T princeps?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Never seen any Trachycarpus for sale on any island in the Canaries, Kris. I think the Canarius source is Tenerife. I imagine that a 'cooler' mountain nursery there must be the only place where they grow well. Canarius must concentrate on them for export. I don't remember seeing any in the botanical gardens in Tenerife, but I know one exists in Santa Cruz.

In Gran Canaria, I have only seen one, at the Palmitos Park zoo and gardens. I don't know how it came through the serious brush fires that damaged the park and nearby areas a few years ago. I've seen this both winter and summer and it never looks happy. It seems to permanently sulk in the heat. Perhaps this is the only place in the world along with Tenerife where the most frost-resistant and most heat-loving palms can grow side by side. There is a Cocos nucifera growing not far away. It must be said that neither thrive. Yet they have a fabulous Rhopalostylis that seems to love the heat.

I think Canarius distribute larger sizes of Trachycarpus but I'd never get these in my suitcase :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:Never seen any Trachycarpus for sale on any island in the Canaries, Kris. I think the Canarius source is Tenerife. I imagine that a 'cooler' mountain nursery there must be the only place where they grow well. Canarius must concentrate on them for export. I don't remember seeing any in the botanical gardens in Tenerife, but I know one exists in Santa Cruz.

In Gran Canaria, I have only seen one, at the Palmitos Park zoo and gardens. I don't know how it came through the serious brush fires that damaged the park and nearby areas a few years ago. I've seen this both winter and summer and it never looks happy. It seems to permanently sulk in the heat. Perhaps this is the only place in the world along with Tenerife where the most frost-resistant and most heat-loving palms can grow side by side. There is a Cocos nucifera growing not far away. It must be said that neither thrive. Yet they have a fabulous Rhopalostylis that seems to love the heat.

I think Canarius distribute larger sizes of Trachycarpus but I'd never get these in my suitcase :lol:
I've been there! (one of the few places I've visited abroad) It was before I was into exotics but remember huge Agave flower spikes or similar.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
I've been there! (one of the few places I've visited abroad) It was before I was into exotics but remember huge Agave flower spikes or similar.
Do you mean Palmitos Park, Kris?

Sounds like you went there as a youngster. It was the animals and the desert garden that made such an impression the boys that even they are happy to go back time and again. We last went there more than two years ago. Sand can't remember if she had bought her digital camera, then. If so, I might be able to post some pics.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Do you mean Palmitos Park, Kris?

Sounds like you went there as a youngster. It was the animals and the desert garden that made such an impression the boys that even they are happy to go back time and again. We last went there more than two years ago. Sand can't remember if she had bought her digital camera, then. If so, I might be able to post some pics.
Yes Palmitos Park. We took a regular service bus there using my wifes (then girlfriend) excellent spanish to work out where to go. Probably when we were 18/19.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Returned to the challenge of reality :ahhh!:

First task is to set about salvaging any pics, oh, and check on the garden :roll:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

It seems that while we were away someone has helped themselves to items in our garden.

Two (empty) glazed terracotta urns have gone as has my portable hose on a reel. As I had grouped my hundreds of potted items together for ease of watering I cannot account for some plants as I return them to their original homes. I've not finished moving everything back yet and I'm hanging onto the faint hope that these will turn up.

The pics on my phone can't be downloaded yet as I have nothing with which to file them. Also have to see what I can salvage from the dead camera icon_aaargh

All of a sudden, it doesn't feel that good to be home :? and after a less than successful Canary Twitter I'm starting to feel a bit of a twit :shock:

Roll on December when I can try again icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GREVILLE wrote:It seems that while we were away someone has helped themselves to items in our garden.

Two (empty) glazed terracotta urns have gone as has my portable hose on a reel. As I had grouped my hundreds of potted items together for ease of watering I cannot account for some plants as I return them to their original homes. I've not finished moving everything back yet and I'm hanging onto the faint hope that these will turn up.

The pics on my phone can't be downloaded yet as I have nothing with which to file them. Also have to see what I can salvage from the dead camera icon_aaargh

All of a sudden, it doesn't feel that good to be home :? and after a less than successful Canary Twitter I'm starting to feel a bit of a twit :shock:

Roll on December when I can try again icon_thumright
What miserable B-s-a-ds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Home coming. icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Very sorry to hear that Greville. Some people are swines and will steal from anyone at any time. Remember that this part of the forum is open to all the public so saying you were away from home for a month wasn't a wise idea?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Very sorry to hear that Greville. Some people are swines and will steal from anyone at any time. Remember that this part of the forum is open to all the public so saying you were away from home for a month wasn't a wise idea?
Good point, Kris.

However, my oldest has been here the entire time. He broke his collar bone just before we left and apart from being absent for one day with his surgery he didn't go to work during our absence. Builders have been doing some major work on house for the past three weeks so it's not been empty. Therein lies the problem. This is the third time that such thefts have occurred from the garden, garage or shed and they have only occurred when the builders are here. As I trust them 100%, I'm sure it's opportunists pilfering these items in the assumption that I'll automatically blame the builders.

I have sorted through all my plants now and have come back from holiday no longer the proud owner of the following: Colocasias Emerald and Mojito, Xanthosoma Sagittifolium, Musa super dwarf cavendish and the palms Lytocaryum weddellianum and Bismarkia. I do remember grouping these together so it looks like it was a quick grab and run.

I noticed a couple of casualties with two ferns missing out on water, Blechnum gibbum and Cyathea medullaris. Otherwise top marks to my boy for insisting he would still look after my plants despite injury icon_salut

I'll keep this thread live as I'll still try to get some pics up.