Garden Design in the 21st Century

Kyle

Re: Garden Design in the 21st Century

Post by Kyle »

:shock: 3 acres? That's a hell of a job you've scored yourself their, Dim. It'd be fascinating to use that to show us on this thread how it progresses.

I kind of get how the CG process work for you now. Comprising of 2 independent applications clears a lot of confusion up. Can you model directly and import library models into the CAD app, such as DXF files?
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kyle wrote::shock: 3 acres? That's a hell of a job you've scored yourself their, Dim. It'd be fascinating to use that to show us on this thread how it progresses.

I kind of get how the CG process work for you now. Comprising of 2 independent applications clears a lot of confusion up. Can you model directly and import library models into the CAD app, such as DXF files?
there is a way to import/export dxf files ... I have not tried it yet but it's available here:
http://www.softahead.com/download/Graph ... 57796.html

I am looking forward to the 3 acre garden (my biggest so far)

one of the problems is that there are some very large trees in the front of the property that are near the house which casts lots of shade .... we cannot remove the trees as the property is grade A listed, but I will be seeding parts of the garden with A6 Supra shade seed (has Supranova Poa supina seed which is supposed to be the best for shade) ... there is even a stream on one of the boundaries, so I may be planting one of two gunnera in the shady areas ... lots of space for stuff like bamboo aswell

http://www.bshamenity.com/product-detai ... upra_shade)
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Garden Design Sample - Case Study 1.1

As requested, here's the first part of my case study.

I was originally asked by my old boss to help her put up a new greenhouse (Shown as a blue rectangle on the first image). During this she suggested that she fancied having some decking installed around the house. At the time there was just old broken tarmac that wasn't on a consistent level, particularly at the side where there was a nasty step down from the street. She also wanted decking placing over a rectangular patio that was positioned at a skew angle on the lawn.

I suggested that I'd be able to do the job and could get a quote to her that evening. She agreed and I carried out some measurements on a scrap of paper. I noted three awkward sewer covers and made sure I accurately pinpointed them in relation to the house (black rectangles on the first image).

Once I got home I plotted all the measurements into Cinema 4D, quickly searched the internet for any offers on decking and found a sale on at Wickes. Their webpage gives the measurements (in mm) of their decking and timber. I then created a spline in 3D to the height and width (included all the treads as accurately as I could from Wickes photo ref). From this spline I then extruded it to the 3.6m length that I wanted to use. I worked out it would be cheaper to cut 3.6m in halfs than buy twice as many 1.8m lengths.

What was obvious from the positions of the sewer covers was that I couldn't just put down 1.8m wide decking walkways around the house like she wanted. Instead I worked around them with a 0.9m, L-shaped walkway. The cover by the back door required a different approach. The client's early insistence that, 'I don't do curves!' meant there'd be either a section of shorter decking or, we could look at "Curving" it in and out as if it was intended that way. I pointed out the greenhouse had curved plexi-glass already and once she saw the plan, seemed all for the idea.

The cream lines on the plan show the supports. The separate rectangular decking area was modelled the same, but used 4.8m lengths uncut. I then took a (plan) snapshot from the model, stuck a breakdown of costs on it in Adobe Indesign (in case she didn't want or couldn't afford to have it all done in one go) and emailed a PDF for approval to the client.
CB1_01.jpg
CB1_01.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
During the initial fitting of the decking, the client kept complaining about the fence at the side of her house and explained how it had gradually leaned over to her house as the land had sunk over the years. The posts were on the far side (the neighbours) so replacing them straight wasn't really an option I wanted to go down. I pondered over it as I continued laying the decking. Later I suggested that she could 'prop' it up by placing a pergola or trellis against her house. She was all for it.

That evening I modelled a very simple design that took into account the features of the house and worked out a position that would be symmetrical from the centre of the door. I considered attaching the pergola to the top of the fence. However, that would technically require planning as it would be officially part of the fence which was already the max 2m. Instead I made sure it had it's own supports that were locked in place among the decking. The pressure from the fitted pergola roof would then push the fence up straight. Still the same effect but within regulations.
CB1_02.jpg
Once the decking and trellis was complete, she was extremely happy with the results. Then pointing at her back garden said something along the lines of, 'What could you do with that. Can you take that and turn it into something with more pizazz?'.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sounds like a good project! If you don't mind me asking what did it cost materials and labour?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Garden/landscape design would be my ideal job. What would a half decent person expect to earn a year? My ambition is either to do that or run a nursery.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tom2006 wrote:Sounds like a good project! If you don't mind me asking what did it cost materials and labour?
Sorry Tom, I'm not sure if you're asking me or Dim. The decking materials and labour cost for that initial job are on that first image. I only charged £400 for labour, but she was letting us have a load of stuff for our newborn baby as part-payment. If it wasn't for that, probably £600 for the labour and about 3 days work to fit.
billo

Post by billo »

Kyle, good solution. Out of interest, what made you decide to leave the Covers exposed rather that replacing with recessed covers with decking infill?. More complicated to build I know but better aesthetically.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

billo wrote:Kyle, good solution. Out of interest, what made you decide to leave the Covers exposed rather that replacing with recessed covers with decking infill?. More complicated to build I know but better aesthetically.
Cheer Billo. I discussed the options available with the client regarding the two covers at the corner of the house and established that she was happier to lay gravel over them and stick a couple of her planters on top of that. The thinking being that it would soften the side of the house with planting. I know, still possible on place on top of a decking option, but hey-ho, that's what she wanted.

The one in the back yard was covered with a couple of rocks and a bit of soil as it effectively disguised it by blending into the rockery she had at the time.

And dare I say, I'd been itching to try out a bit of curved decking, so I saw an opportunity to test it out here and managed to convince her to give it a shot. :lol:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle's Garden Design Sample - Case Study 1.2

After discussions with the client about how to approach the garden, it became clear that it was the favoured place where visiting family members would congregate and catch up. Barbies were a regular occurrence so there would be a need for plenty of seating. The client also had a grandson who she said was a real performer for the family and would put on dance/singing performances for everyone's entertainment.

A few things were non-negotiable. The angled position of the rectangular decking area was fixed in place. A large cherry tree dominated to plot and would be staying at all costs. A Wisteria at the very back was a gift from a family member years earlier. A small brick barbecue built by the clients son when he a was a teenager held sentimental value. Non of that could be touched or altered.

She had a rockery that sloped up from the new decking to an existing lawn that was knotted with tree roots. All that was open to change and was desired. So overall, a pretty hefty set of limitations of what I could do.

I got into thinking about a seating area that took inspiration from an amphitheatre. This led to a couple of sketches that used more curves :lol: , this time as steps that echoed from the outer curve of the decking. The client seem to be getting excited about this idea so I scribbled (very roughly) where my mind was going. Specifically using the curved steps to line up with the divisions between her greenhouse windows. We spoke about a more distant curve that would form a solid block, constructed of concrete blocks and filled with all the rubbish throughout the garden such as bricks and rocks. This was something that could have cushions brought out during parties and used as a large seating area. I capped the ends with enclosed raised borders for planting and incorporated a trellis that the Wisteria could be trained along.

That evening I knocked up a fairy lo-resolution, basic 3D model in the same document that already had the decking model in. I output a 360 degree pre-visualisation and emailed it to the client for feedback.

She was impressed enough and agreed to go ahead with the job. I then used the model to estimate material costs and put together a budget and timescale. I don't remember the exact cost of materials, but it was below £1,000 and I estimated 10 days work. Bearing in mind this was after the decking had been completed and paid for. The client wanted to arrange the deliveries herself, so I sourced the best deals and emailed her the individual lists and contact details.

It was a go . . .
billo

Post by billo »

Kyle, I like the plan, there are just a few things I can't work out -
What material have you used for the curved steps, how did the step to riser calcs work out & what happens at the straight end of the steps (if you see what I mean!).
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, sorry it was asked for your Kyle. Very good rates, even at £600!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Garden Design Sample - Case Study 1.3

Good questions, Billo. If you look at the original decking plan for reference. Within the 3D programme, I created a new circle object, then scaled and placed it on top of the decking so that it's lower lip lined up with the outer curve of the decking model. From that I was able to establish the exact measurement to the centre of this circle object. In reality I just marked this point on the decking and partly inserted a deck screw that I could tie string to.

In the 3D programme, I placed a line object along the north edge of the large rectangular decking area. I extended the line object right across the garden while maintaining it's fixed angle (relative to the house). I then selected the circle object, made a duplicate and scaled it up from its centre until the outer lip touched the extended line. I used the original circle to cut a matching hole out of the larger one (so it resembled a loop). From that I was able to sub-divide the loop into 4 giving me the exact measurement and position of the step curves. That same measurement between the steps was also then used to establish the straight lines.

I'd already taken measurements in the garden to establish the step levels. Spirit level placed on a straight edge timber. Then putting that on the large rectangular decking, overhung it until it was above the lower decking. It was just a matter of getting the tape measure - taking the result and dividing that by 4. Don't remember the exact measurement but it worked out something like 145mm between step levels.

To construct the steps, I used concrete blocks and framed them with angle bead before applying a cement render.
CB1_03.jpg
CB1_04.jpg
CB1_05.jpg
CB1_06.jpg
CB1_07.jpg
CB1_08.jpg
It was at this point the client informed me that she'd changed her mind and wanted a lawn at the top level and not the crushed slate that I'd mocked up in the design. I told her that I'd been contemplating the idea of changing the chunky concrete seating slab and had thought up a theoretical way of installing a floating strip of seats instead. This was an idea that stemmed from the client having 12 x half metre square decking panels on site. These were originally taken up when we installed the rectangular deck patio and were in pretty decent condition.

Another re-design was called for . . .
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Kyle, I like your professional approach to the work and design, and I’m impressed with the fact that you have totally transformed the look of that garden with a very small budget for material cost!

When you finished the decking you said that you estimated 10 days’ work to complete the job… is that for one person? If so you’re a bloody good grafter too.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Palmer wrote:Hi Kyle, I like your professional approach to the work and design, and I’m impressed with the fact that you have totally transformed the look of that garden with a very small budget for material cost!

When you finished the decking you said that you estimated 10 days’ work to complete the job… is that for one person? If so you’re a bloody good grafter too.
:lol:

We tweaked the design a little and it ran to 12 days by the end, dawn-till-dusk days. It was an odd one this job, the client insisted on helping out at every step of the way and had a blast in the dirt. She was completely shattered by the end, :lol: but saved maybe 5 days labour and had a much stronger appreciation for the garden as a result.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Nice one Kyle .... a job well done .... from design right through to completion! ...