Protecting Musa Basjoo VS mulching, RESULTS...

cordyman

Protecting Musa Basjoo VS mulching, RESULTS...

Post by cordyman »

There was a looooooooooooooot of debate before last winter about bothering to protect Musa Basjoo p-stems, as its such a fast grower many argued protecting the base would suffice and the p-stem would grow back very quickly in one season.

I straw cage protected one of my Musa's p-stems and mulched the base of the two others.

Mulched: This one did very well, until the feb cold snap hit it hard and razed to the ground, its recovered well though, but not going to be much of a show this year, height of a plant pot ....

Mulched: This one got raised to half its height, and retained this height through the feb cold snap with a couple of leaves protecting the growing point, looking pretty good but not a patch on the protected p-stem specimen.

Straw caged and fleece wrapped: Speaks for itself the method i'll be using on my Musa's this winter, double the height of the biggest mulched survivor and a nice focal point in the border. Fence is 7 foot high, so its nearly 8 foot

Anyone else still think its not worth protecting the p-stem? icon_scratch icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Re: Protecting Musa Basjoo VS mulching, RESULTS...

Post by Tom2006 »

Always worth protecting. Especially if we keep getting poor growing summers like this one. That large one looks great!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Nice pictures Cordy'! :)

I still think it's not worth protecting the pseudostem UNLESS height is the vital element for your garden.

We had grown quite a few tall, maybe 12ft tall, chunky Musa Basjoo, pre the last few cold winters. Then sadly they were killed off to ground level. Not realising they were root hardy, I removed a lot of the old roots but must have left some good roots as we still have a couple of new plants grow each year.

I have never bothered to mulch. Last years Musas were killed off. Again. This year we have a few small pups and two lovely taller ones about 3 - 4ft tall already, despite the weather this year, with nice chunky pseudostems.
In a mild winter, I know they will survive without covering. Just trim off the blackened bit after a cold spell and they will grow on but if they do succumb to the cold, I'm happy to see the rapid new growth which is possible from ground level, when there is a mature root system.

This year I do plan to add some mulch just to see if it makes any difference next spring.

Cathy x
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Your pictures speak a thousands words.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

this summer has been the main drawback for people that didn't protect it.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Excellent post-thanks for showing us your results. I know what I'LL be doing this winter with ny basjoo.
call

Post by call »

well my bas didnt survive at all because it was too dry :(
dino

Post by dino »

Cathy wrote:Nice pictures Cordy'! :)

I still think it's not worth protecting the pseudostem UNLESS height is the vital element for your garden.

We had grown quite a few tall, maybe 12ft tall, chunky Musa Basjoo, pre the last few cold winters. Then sadly they were killed off to ground level. Not realising they were root hardy, I removed a lot of the old roots but must have left some good roots as we still have a couple of new plants grow each year.

I have never bothered to mulch. Last years Musas were killed off. Again. This year we have a few small pups and two lovely taller ones about 3 - 4ft tall already, despite the weather this year, with nice chunky pseudostems.
In a mild winter, I know they will survive without covering. Just trim off the blackened bit after a cold spell and they will grow on but if they do succumb to the cold, I'm happy to see the rapid new growth which is possible from ground level, when there is a mature root system.

This year I do plan to add some mulch just to see if it makes any difference next spring.

Cathy x
Length is always important for us blokes Cathy :lol:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

{quote} Length is always important for us blokes Cathy :lol:[/quote]

Dino, :lol: oooh you are awfull - but I like you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

My Banana's are all booming in this hot and wet weather. My Musa's are reaching 8ft they were 1 ft in March.
Ensettes are getting ridiculous. Ive got 15 and there all romping away!

Ive been using Doff tomato feed from homebargains, going through a tub a week (undiluted) and mixing with a can of water. :D

Pete
Attachments
Musa's and Ensettes doing very well
Musa's and Ensettes doing very well
derrick

Post by derrick »

I protected my Basjoo the last 2 years but been a bit slow this year been geting some yellow in the leaf edges and only now im geting the big wide leaves weathers been up and down
kata

Post by kata »

Length is always important for us blokes Cathy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good there Cordy.

:mrgreen: