What's your favourite Variegated plant.

Palmer

What's your favourite Variegated plant.

Post by Palmer »

Here's two of mine, well they have to be there the only two i have, Musa Basjoo and Beschorneria Yuccoides.

Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

Now were talking :lol:
Ae Ae.Just starting to put out a new roller since its chop

Rajapuri

Basjoo
My Sikki seems to be losing the variegation and the yellow forest banana has turned to green :lol:
Quite fond of cyperus too
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Mark, you have some rare bananas there mate, and were on earth have you got that variegated cyperus from, its a cracker. :shock:
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have had the cyperus for a few years now it came from Newington nurseries.
I posted a picture on the other site ( no names :lol: )and every one Pmd me for some. I gave Ade shattock a pot a couple of weeks ago too. If you can wait until I split the plant next spring I can send you a bit. It doesn't propagate in the same way as the plain green type by putting the tip in water. If you try it they always come up green :x

I am getted the yellow forest grew out its variegation it looked nice when it was small

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Yes please Mark nice one, :D i have just been out side to check the the pups on my variegated Basjoo 3 normal and two to young to tell :cry:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This one one of those plants that everyone has had but it doesn't devalue its interest to me. I have a dark green Tradecantia that is pretty hardy and is good ground cover under other plants. Evey now and again it throws up a variageted stem. This year I have havested the variegated stems and propagated them. The variegation is very variable (VVV) :lol: with the main plant plain green, some green and yellow with stripes, without stripes, some are green and cream, and other completely creamy white.

Because it is so easy to prop I have been planting the variegated plants out as ground cover. I'll see if they are as hardy as the plain green mother plant.

Pic taken back in May will take some more and post.

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Mines got to be 'Hilo beauty'
currently residing in the bathroom where its already grown a nice new leaf,not to mention a pup :D
But no nanas :( the rajapuri I had secured from jungleplants hasn't materialized,the pup they were waiting for reverted to plain green.So I'm still waiting patiently til the spring to see if they get anymore pups then.
Or until Mark and Don decide they've got too many and want to offload some :lol: :wink:
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Oh, nearly forgot my Poor Man's Ae Ae clump.

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Heads not screwed on properly today as I forgot these spiky little numbers :D
My heavily variegated A. americana and one of its pups,the green is very faint almost like its shining through from the middle of the leaf(are they called leaves or something else?)
Steve
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Is that Agave ice cream Steve, :D looks good enough to eat, does it cope with the sun ok
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are leaves Steve :wink:

This is one of my seed grown Musa zebrina. It is actually the yellowish banana not the Sikki in the background.Not only is the whole banana very yellowish, it also has yellow streaks.

This is a leaf on the same banana which is starting to show the characteristic red blotches, but still showing the yellowish streaks.

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Tony,
Its been in the greenhouse all year so its not received any strong sunshine,but the parent(the 1st pic) is planted out in my dry bed with full sun most of the day.And thats been fine and so have most of the white pups.So I would've thought that it'd be okay.It's not the fastest grower so it may take a few years for it to start bulkimg up,but I think it'll be worth the wait :D
Nice basjoo by the way
Steve
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

one of the problems with variegated plants is the les green they have, the les photosynthesis can take place, i had a lime green basjoo, it grew very slowly for a year got to 1 foot tall then died :cry:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I was thinking about getting musa snow white,but bottled it in the end as it looks like it'd be quite a difficult banana to keep alive.
I'm sure that Helen can fill us in whether it is or not,as I think she's got one.
Where did you get a lime green basjoo from Tony?was it a pup or from another source?
steve
Mark

Post by Mark »

She has got one it was from ebay. you can get them from Achims banana shop for 60 euros. They look nice. I think they look better than the Dwarf Namwah pearl. I am currently killing my third one.Its the most awkward banana I have tried to keep.