huge plants for tropical border

parkeey

huge plants for tropical border

Post by parkeey »

i have a thistle plant cardoon (CYNARA cardunculus), which is my biggest plant in the border bigger than me, i am just trying to think of some more huge foilage or herbaceous plants for the back of the border, i have a t rex also, musa basjoo, also have a paulownio tree, and trying think of maybe a few tropical trees, i tried ALBIZIA-chocolate and the Acacia dealbata , both which died in that heavy snow few years back in kent, not sure to try the acacia again... or any other nice trees.
any plants or tropical trees u can think just list please..... thks :P
greendragon

Re: huge plants for tropical border

Post by greendragon »

Gunnera for a herbacious big leafer, Wollemia Nobilis for a tropical tree.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

fig trees look nice
call

Post by call »

do you have anyware to store stuff for the winter because if you do you could try ensete :>beard<:
billo

Post by billo »

Big herbaceous plants, not tropical but hard as nails - Inula magnifica, Achillea grandiflora& Eupatorium pupureum.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

billo wrote:Big herbaceous plants, not tropical but hard as nails - Inula magnifica, Achillea grandiflora& Eupatorium pupureum.
Good shout on the Eupatorium.

Yes, they aren't tropical, but I really like the leaves on them, the overall shape and the fact that they flower much later in the season. There are various varieties you can buy in the UK. I have four of them and they are all slightly different heights with different leaves, cannabicum is my favourite.

They like lots of moisture though, which could be a problem in normal years down in your part of the country.

S