Fatsia spiders web advice?

Tom2006

Fatsia spiders web advice?

Post by Tom2006 »

I bought a very small Fatisa spiders web from Amulree. I finally got around to planting it out this evening and as per the label went for full shade. Is this correct? Will it need protecting during winter?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Fatsia spiders web advice?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I think Spiders Webs need sun to enhance the variegation Tom.

I've had mine in full sun and it's doing great, much cleaner contrast than when I had it indoors over winter too.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Ok thank you I will get it moved tomorrow.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Do not put it in full sun, I have seen Fatsias in front gardens that look terrible. They get sunburnt really badly and the white leaves will be even more prone to sunburn, keep it in shade in my opinion.
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

My 2 are doing great in full shade, lots of good varigation too.

They have been out for the last 2 winters in the ground with no damage.

'I wouldn't put it in the sun either as they lose they're glossiness and deep green colour.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

dappled sun, light sun i think is the best place.

i guess a little one will need protection, i just planted a small one and plan on protecting this winter with some fleece cover.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I use clear "layflat tubing" around my young shrubs to hurry them up. It comes on a roll, but unless you have a lot to do would be expensive. A good stout / thick clear plastic bag with the bottom cut off would do. Keeps the wind off and prevents wind chill, and reduces transpiration (and in my case prevents things like Bunnies eating it too!)
IMG_2833_Fatsia.jpg
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks guys, in that case I wont move it :lol: Good idea that Kristen, fortunately its very small and surrounded by a fence and other well established plants. I envisage having to move it when it gets bigger, but its in full shade now. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:ortunately its very small and surrounded by a fence and other well established plants
I'd stick a cloche over it then. Don't cook it! so maybe leave the ends open / ajar, but it does need to put on a bit of growth before the Winter; shrubs take a while to grow, variegated ones tend to be among the slower ones, so worth giving it some help I reckon - in particular to reduce transpiration, rather than to encourage "soft" growth in the run up to Winter.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I will try that Kristen, thank you. icon_thumleft
Dim

Post by Dim »

I bought a spiders web several months ago

it was a small one .... it has done absolutely nothing .... no new leaves .... but it still looks healthy, so am hoping that the roots develop first before it starts growing?
Dim

Post by Dim »

Tom2006 wrote:I bought a very small Fatisa spiders web from Amulree. I finally got around to planting it out this evening and as per the label went for full shade. Is this correct? Will it need protecting during winter?

here's my one .... planted in semi-shade/shade (you have to look carefully) :lol:

bought it as a plug plant and planted it out in spring .... it has not grown since then but looks happy ...

carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Mine is in full shade and does very well. Fatsias tend to turn yellow in hot sun as witness the roundabouts down here where some numpty has decreed that they are much better as a sickly yellow plant than the rich green they're supposed to be.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Dim wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I bought a very small Fatisa spiders web from Amulree. I finally got around to planting it out this evening and as per the label went for full shade. Is this correct? Will it need protecting during winter?

here's my one .... planted in semi-shade/shade (you have to look carefully) :lol:

bought it as a plug plant and planted it out in spring .... it has not grown since then but looks happy ...
Looks like it could have done with being grown into a 5litre pot before being put in the ground to face the elements.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I've put a plastic cloche over mine to try and give it a chance before winter.