!Emergency! Fern ID?

Mr List

!Emergency! Fern ID?

Post by Mr List »

this fern was sold to me as pteris wallichiana by mark fillan and it clearly isnt that. :x

it has been so plagued by slugs uptil now i was only worried about getting it to grow now looking at it i am worried it is bracken!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

help ID so i can dig it up sharpish.

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: !Emergency! Fern ID?

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

have a look at this Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30879509@N04/6862946280/

looks very similar i think
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30879509@N ... otostream/

they are supposed to open out in a five, full circle look all mine look triangular like bracken

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bracke ... 00&bih=773

:cry: icon_scratch
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

It almost looks like a Davallia to me Ken but Im not good with fern IDs. What do the rhizomes looks like?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

never seen them icon_scratch

i don't know what to do, if anybody can 100% confirm it isn't bracken my mind would be put to rest.
i feel like there is a ticking clock going with a countdown to garden armagedon while i am unsure if it could be bracken.
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Not sure what you have but don't think you have Bracken, as we have lots growing in a local woods and its nothing like the fern you have .
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Not sure what you have but don't think you have Bracken, as we have lots growing in a local woods and its nothing like the fern you have .
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well i am a bit paranoid about being sold the wrong stuff so i may be over reacting.

i know that the spores of pteris wallichiana will be in lines and the spores of bracken are dots, will i likely see spores this year?
Springy

Post by Springy »

It looks exactly like my Pteris so I wouldn't worry too much. I got mine from fernatix this year and if they don't know the difference between bracken and Pteris then nobody will! icon_thumright

I'm guessing that the 5 lobed leaves will appear on a more established plant and that the 3 lobed leaves are just juvenile ones!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Don't worry even if it is bracken you can spray it! I killed the bracken in the neighbours garden for them last year. icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think i was just over reacting, i trust the seller so i don't know what made me doubt what it was.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Its ok Mr L icon_thumleft

take two of these and come back in the morning.............
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 788 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

most definitely, must be the stress from decorating the house as well icon_thumright