Rhodochiton

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Rhodochiton

Post by Dave Brown »

Kevin Scales up at Stalham, north east of Norwich, uses Rhodochiton to good effect, scrambling up through his Trachycarpus.

Definitely on my wish list for use with palm trunks icon_thumright
Attachments
2012-09-03 Kevin Scales Trachy and Rhodochiton.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Palmer »

Can’t think why I haven’t tried growing them up my Trachycarpus trunk… that looks excellent icon_salut
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I got a packet of seed earlier this year, stuck them in pots outside and all of them (or almost all of them) germinated. I ended up with more than I knew what to do with.

Yeah the leaves look better in light shade.

Keeping them in [small] pots virtually halts any growth. Once you put them in the ground or a large container, they will go crazy.
So far the my best performer has been one in a large container in a shady corner (with up to 2 hours of late morning sun a day). I've left one in a pot in case we get an icy blast, which I can bring inside and plant it in the ground come spring. It's not growing at all, but it looks perfectly healthy otherwise :lol: The one in the barrel has outgrown it 20-fold.

No flowers this year yet by the way... hope they flower next season.

All of them excepting the potted one are actively growing now in January, when hardy anything is! Shooting up into the sky and putting out new leaves icon_thumleft
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had Rhodochiton in the conservatory it got to about 7 feet .I accidentally cut the growing point off . That made it grow multi growing points and look more bushy .
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

I grew rhodochiton a few years ago in another garden and its a great little plant.
Has a nice character about it, nice leaves and great little flowers, very pretty.
It grew 6' + up a fence and other trees and flowered all summer.
Recommended! In fact, I think I'll try it again this year!!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

When are these supposed to flower? Mine still haven't flowered, I've had them now for 9 months or so...
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

You should get some this year Otorongo. I'm sure I got some the same year as sowing, but it was a while ago so could be seeing through rose tinteds.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Dave Brown wrote:Kevin Scales up at Stalham, north east of Norwich, uses Rhodochiton to good effect, scrambling up through his Trachycarpus.

Definitely on my wish list for use with palm trunks icon_thumright
I'm trying this this year, It was one that I kept from last year and has just started growing again. I hope mine looks as good as the one in the photo by the end of the season.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.