What is your biggest regret.

Which wouldn't you both with again either to buy or to grow.

Non Trachycarpus palm
15%
Cycas
12%
Dicksonia
3%
Other Tree Fern
9%
Trunked Yucca
3%
Bamboo
9%
Musa
No votes
Ensete
3%
TRex
No votes
Agave
3%
Trachycarpus
3%
Ginger
9%
Colocasia
3%
Alocasia
6%
other aroid
3%
Random "tropical" plant from the houseplant section
12%
Something ""special" mentioned on the web
6%

Total votes: 33

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

What is your biggest regret.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Plan-wise of course! :lol:

Is there a plant you wish you hadn't bought or wasted money on?

Is there a plant that took over?

Is there a plant you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy?

For me I wish I never bought two Nannorhops; both died pretty quickly and were a waste of money. Also a Seronoa repens which died as well :roll:
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Re: What is your biggest regret.

Post by kata »

Cycad

Green and yellow creeper. (can't find it in Google)

White Trumpet weed.

:mrgreen:
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Apart from not getting a House with a bigger Garden which i would presume a lot of people would say.

Mine would be building a pond that takes up most of my postage size Garden, because i was into fish long before i was into Plants, although it was the pond that got me into plants icon_rabbit and the exotic scene

The second is not being able to get rid of a plant, and now the Basjoo's are taking over icon_rambo
Leigh
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Loads !! Nannorrhops, Trithrinax campestris, Agave montana to name but 3 with wildy exaggerated claims of hardiness/suitability to the British climate.
My Yucca gloriosa took over a space about 11' square and nearly 6' high, until 2010/11 when it also looked very tatty so I cut it down to the ground so it could start again, which it has and looks good but will keep it in check this time.
Ground elder :twisted:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

No regrets for me. The plants I have lost have been an education towards helping me keep plants I still have. Nothing is beyond control if I really want to make a change and as for what I'd wish on my worst enemy, well it wouldn't be a plant.

;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Main regrets are Bamboo and Ivy :ahhh!: also would not wish them on my worst enemy. :(

Another regret is not evaluating the size palms grow. The big Chamaerops planted at 1ft, now completely shades the patio for much of the day, and shades the conservatory in winter :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

A bare-rooted Nolina nelsonii and 2 bare-rooted Yucaa rostrata, they never re-rooted and just faded away.

A nice big Cyathea australis (without any roots). That was before I found out it was nigh on impossible to get them to re-root.
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

spending good money on varieties of palm seeds. conclusion: most fail or take too long.
buying many small palms instead of a few large ones: false economy by the time you feed, protect, repot year after year you are just as well to have bought big healthy ones with more impact in the garden

exceptions: washingtonia seeds are free to collect abroad easy to germinate and fast growing. well worth planting out a few small trachies if they are cheap.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Not doing the some things early enough / immediately when we moved in here.

The main one was not planting wind-break trees around the perimeter of my property (believing it was too narrow to accommodate them). Hedges too, plant them as soon as you arrive at the property. If you get there and the hedges are Leylandii, or something you don't like, pull them out and plant what you do want; they are going to be 5 years before they are anything significant.

Get any trees in, even if they turn out to be wrong. Easier to remove them, or attempt transplant, rather than wait for new ones to grow when realisation dawns that trees were needed.

Similarly, worth planting things in a nursery bed to gain a year, or more, of growth and take the risk of transplanting. I have done that with hedge plants, and some others, and am very glad that I did.

I wouldn't wish horsetail on anyone. Bindweed and Ground Elder respond to Roundup/Glyphosate. Horsetail is harder to eradicate.

Off topic: Many years ago I asked my wife's Grandmother (then in her 90's) what was the best thing she had done in her life and she said "Going on a cruise to Acapulco" !! I then asked her "Is there anything you regret not having done?" ... "Yes" she said "Not going to Acapulco a second time" !!
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Answers to your :?: Kris,

Canary Date Palm bought 3 lost 3...Say no more :oops:

icon_aaargh Virgina creeper/Boston Ivy---Good fence camouflage but likes to do the same to anything that stands in its way.

Russian vine(mile-a-minute vine)............. But maybe :?: :twisted:

Gray
zaakk

Post by zaakk »

Just a case of a couple of houseplants which have proved really hard work when the money could have been better spent elsewhere.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Buying 7 5ft treeferns and 6 7ft bamboos only to see them freeze solid in THAT winter. It still pees me off :twisted:

Burn more coal,gas and oil so we can warm this country up a bit :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

I like plants, so I have no regrets on anything...even the hard to eradicate stuff, just means it gets pruned harder
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Just voted on a bamboo - and it is just one - Sasa palmata. Need I say more :x
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Just voted on a bamboo - and it is just one - Sasa palmata. Need I say more :x