Variegated ground Elder YES or NO?

tropicalwon

Variegated ground Elder YES or NO?

Post by tropicalwon »

Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegata' is a form of ground Elder, can anyone tell me is it or can it be a problem plant like it's older brother the common 'WEED' ground Elder, for taking over the garden???

Why?....I have a small area around a Pear & Apple tree at the back of my garden which I want to ground cover & be low maintenance.

Any advice would be great icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Re: Variegated ground Elder YES or NO?

Post by The Codfather »

I would not take the gamble..........I have the normal one and its a ****ing nightmare!
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Ground elder and the various Oxalis I've 'inherited' with plants I've bought are a chuffin' nightmare !!! Nooooooo !! icon_thumbdown
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

NO

It's less vigorous than the plain green, but still behaves the same and equally difficult to remove.
call

Post by call »

icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

:ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Thanks every one for the reply of NO! I give that one a miss then.
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

There is a plant that I've observed that seems to have a very similar leaf pattern. Its not ground elder but I don't know what it is - any ideas. For close comparison the variegated ground elder is the second pic
cornerstones_030-qpr.jpg
aegopodium_podograria_variegata_2-qpr.jpg
Chad

Post by Chad »

Ian,

Although as far as I know they have not been given different names there are several different clones of variegated ground elder doing the rounds. They differ in leaf shape [particularly in how smooth or how incised the leaf margin is], in degree of variegation, in the colour of the ‘green bit’ [the celadon forms are less vigorous if less eye catching having less contrast] and in stability. Christopher Lloyd writes that some of the USA clones may be more stable.

I think the flower spikes appearing at the top of your first picture suggest that it too is a ground elder.

Chad.