Amazon jungle trip

HarryandNess

Amazon jungle trip

Post by HarryandNess »

I've been sorting through some old photos & videos and thought you might like to see & hear a tiny part of the Amazon jungle in Peru. It was awesome seeing so many palms lining the lake where we stayed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9fjgSrQP0Q

Ness
flounder

Re: Amazon jungle trip

Post by flounder »

Wow, I bet that was a memorable trip icon_thumleft
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Incredible place, somewhere I would love to go.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

<< is jealous!

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing things like this. It seems more real when David Attenborough isn't kneeling in front of it in recently pressed trousers.

;)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Looks an amazing place to visit Trudy, it looks truly beautiful. Had a look at your zip wire vid as well, scary but fun :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Trudy went as well? She kept that quiet
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

flounder wrote:Trudy went as well? She kept that quiet
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd seen pictures of Machu Picchu when I was a teenager and promised myself I'd go there one day. Then all of a sudden I was approaching the big 50 (:ahhh!:) and I still hadn't done it! Better to spend money on the trip of a lifetime than have a big party I thought :D

We were there for around a month and it was one big adventure. We hiked the Inca Trail and I fulfilled my dream, to see Machu Picchu. The Amazon jungle is so remote; we flew into Puerto Maldonado on a small plane first. You definitely get an Indiana Jones feeling! I mean, rippling water and Caiman eyes in the darkness is something else.

Ness
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

DiCasS wrote: Had a look at your zip wire vid as well, scary but fun :lol: Di
It is fun Di :D Have a go if or when you're anywhere near it! :lol:

Ness
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Peru is a part of South America I still need to visit. Nice Maurita flexuosa on that video by the way. Its the favorite nestingtree for the blue macaw.

Alexander
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

HarryandNess wrote:
DiCasS wrote: Had a look at your zip wire vid as well, scary but fun :lol: Di
It is fun Di :D Have a go if or when you're anywhere near it! :lol:

Ness
:lol: You're braver than me Ness, I can feel my stomach tripping just watching your vid. I'm more of an onlooker and a bit of a wimp really :lol: It does look good fun though.

"Trudy went as well? She kept that quiet"

:lol: Oops, that's me not paying attention :lol:

Di
Last edited by DiCasS on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

What a fantastic adventure that must have been. I'd totally enjoy the boat, going down the narrow channel into the stunning lake, however night time in the jungle would have me itching and screaming :lol:

Loved the palm tree lined lake, it looked so serene and unspoilt :D
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Alexander wrote:Nice Maurita flexuosa on that video by the way. Its the favorite nestingtree for the blue macaw.

Alexander
Thanks for the Latin name Alexander icon_thumleft You're right too. We saw so many macaws it was breathtaking. Nearly impossible getting a good photo but nothing removes them from my memory :D
Trudytropics wrote:... it looked so serene and unspoilt :D
Absolutely unspoilt Trudy. 5 native families live there and contribute to conserving the area. The lodge we stayed in was basically a wooden hut that blended in with the surroundings. The luxury of electricity from 6pm - 10pm too! :lol:

Ness
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Mauritia flexuosa, locally known as morichal or burita palm is especially abundant in those wet savannah in northern South America. I have seen them a lot in Venezuela in the Gran Sabana in the southeast. The are where you also have the famous tepuis. I have been on Roraima Tepui. Awesome place!

Well you will never get bored with South America anyway!

Alexander