Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis Shade

JakoMonster

Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis Shade

Post by JakoMonster »

Got a Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' today & there was a spare place at the end of the garden which i have planted it in but the thing is that that are is shady most of the day and only gets the sun slighty late in afternoon/evening ? i read that it should be planted in full sun to partial shade so not sure if it will ok growing there?
karl66

Re: Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis Shade

Post by karl66 »

I have one of my tall vivax planted in a very shaded spot & its romping away!!. karl.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Yes it likes icon_sunny or part shade positions...
but the thing is that that are is shady most of the day and only gets the sun slighty late in afternoon/evening ?
It does get some sun so should be ok.... What about winter sun?
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

tropicalwon wrote:Yes it likes icon_sunny or part shade positions...
but the thing is that that are is shady most of the day and only gets the sun slighty late in afternoon/evening ?
It does get some sun so should be ok.... What about winter sun?

Well in the winter it gets dark early (obviously) then a slight bit of sun in afternoon, i haven't really counted how long the sun last in that location.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

also going off topic slighty how long will it take for them to start producing really big thick culms? (at the moment they are really skinny ones)
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

JakoMonster wrote:
tropicalwon wrote:Yes it likes icon_sunny or part shade positions...
but the thing is that that are is shady most of the day and only gets the sun slightly late in afternoon/evening ?
It does get some sun so should be OK.... What about winter sun?

Well in the winter it gets dark early (obviously) then a slight bit of sun in afternoon, i haven't really counted how long the sun last in that location.
It should be icon_thumleft OK

Like Karl said....
I have one of my tall vivax planted in a very shaded spot & its romping away!!.
Gardening trial & error.... Most bamboos tolerate shade icon_thumleft....It makes them get even taller :lol:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

JakoMonster wrote: how long will it take for them to start producing really big thick culms? (at the moment they are really skinny ones)
It depends what you're starting with. They'll get thicker each year. Cut the thinnest ones out in spring to encourage thicker ones to grow icon_thumleft

Ness
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

good good, thanks all for your replies icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

HarryandNess wrote: Cut the thinnest ones out in spring to encourage thicker ones to grow icon_thumleft
To clear up a common misconception, this doesn't mean that removing mature thin culms will encourage thicker ones. That would just reduce the plants ability to put energy into the rhizome and would therefore impede culm thickness. What it means is to remove the thinner culms as they appear in spring so that energy is not wasted in producing culms that are not desired. If you cut out mature culms, they will not get the chance to pay back the energy that was used to produce them. Leave established thin culms in place for a few years. They can be removed later when the bamboo has established itself.