What is this Cycad trying to do?

kite567

What is this Cycad trying to do?

Post by kite567 »

The cycad in question is an Encephalartos natalensis seedling. I acquired it as a germinated seed maybe three years ago and as can be seen it's a picture of health.

However, the shots reveal that it's thick root is pushing gradually out of its compost with small, dried-up side roots attached. This has happened over a period of about four weeks. (the root looks like a piece of ginger root.) icon_scratch

It might be the case that its lower root system has become over vigorous thus causing the effect; it does get dosed with Palmbooster on occasion. Should I get it out of the pot to have a look and put it in a deeper one if required or is it best left alone? I really don't want to lose it.

I also have an Enceph. leboboensis of roughly the same age but nothing like this has happened to that one.
Attachments
SNV39711.JPG
SNV39713.JPG
Troppoz

Re: What is this Cycad trying to do?

Post by Troppoz »

kite567 wrote:It might be the case that its lower root system has become over vigorous thus causing the effect. Should I get it out of the pot to have a look and put it in a deeper one if required? I really don't want to lose it.
Yes, yes and I dont think youll lose it, they are pretty tough butters icon_thumright
Conifers

Re: What is this Cycad trying to do?

Post by Conifers »

Yep, a deeper pot, the deeper the better.