New photo's of Trachycarpus Martianus Fortunei hybrid

targui

New photo's of Trachycarpus Martianus Fortunei hybrid

Post by targui »

The Palm has just come into flower and looks quite stunning.

Also pictured are Nikau palms growing in a gorge among tree ferns. This is at high elevation for
Nikau palms and it gets quite cool. I will try to obtain seed from this location for distribution.
Attachments
DSCF0183.JPG
DSCF0184.JPG
nikau_waioeka_gorge.jpg
Tom2006

Re: New photo's of Trachycarpus Martianus Fortunei hybrid

Post by Tom2006 »

Please stop posting such wonderful NZ pictures, makes me yearn to move there even more. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Great pictures
Allways interested in seed here, addicted to growing palms!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice pictures, do you get any frosts in the high altitude gorge. If so count me in for some seed. icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely Images, thanks for sharing targui!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Alan,i cant tell frpm the pic if your martianus x is male or female,either way,as a firm believer in this plant i would be most interested in some seeds if you manage to pollenate with another trachycarpus near you.
as you say,the flowers are stunning,far better than my tf ever does icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

i really love those Nikaus stunning palms, new zealand looks like such a nice place your lucky to live there i really hope to visit there sometime in the future :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:hi Alan,i cant tell frpm the pic if your martianus x is male or female,either way,as a firm believer in this plant i would be most interested in some seeds if you manage to pollenate with another trachycarpus near you.
as you say,the flowers are stunning,far better than my tf ever does icon_thumright icon_thumright
It looks like a male to me, as the flower branches are more pendulous :wink:

If only we could grow Nikaus to that size .... droool :mrgreen:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by targui »

Last year it flowered for the first time and set some seed, but they did not mature. I am hopeful
it will set some viable seed this time. Although Trachycarpus genera are considered dioecious I know
there are times where a female plant will behave like a monoecious palm and set viable seed. There
is botanical literature on this subject. Anyway if there is seed I will send it to you Dave for distribution
if there is enough.

The Nikau palms in the picture are at an altitude of more than 800 meters in a gorge that is cool, so
there must be some frost. It is about 130 kilometers from where I live, but I will endeavour to
obtain some seed when I make a trip there.

Regards Alan.
kite567

Post by kite567 »

There are many who do not beleive it possible to achieve a cross between Trachycarpus species which have different seed shapes. Martianus seeds are oval in shape whereas fortunei ones are kidney shaped. :><:

If this palm is the result of a genuine cross then this is a remarkable achievement and the envy of many, myself included. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

targui wrote:Last year it flowered for the first time and set some seed, but they did not mature. I am hopeful
it will set some viable seed this time.

Martianus is known to produce pseudo fruit on males.
targui wrote: The Nikau palms in the picture are at an altitude of more than 800 meters in a gorge that is cool, so
there must be some frost. It is about 130 kilometers from where I live, but I will endeavour to
obtain some seed when I make a trip there.
My Chatham Island Nikau totally defoliated at -5C under overhead canopy, and has taken 3 years to get going again, but is still only half the height it was. See HERE
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

it is still with you Dave,that is the important thing. ive had to resort to smaller ones now that i bring in the house overwinter.
the climate isnt ideal but on a tray of grit and water in the lowlit hallway,they just about tickover through winter.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Steph

Post by Steph »

Darren
If you have resorted to bringing stuff in, what do I do with all those seedlings you sent me?
In or out?
Oh and I had the 3 types of Trachycarpus in one trough nicely labeled, growing well and a fox kicked the thing off its table, it got smashed on the floor so now they are all mixed up as well. Keep trying to give them away as well...