Resiting my Waggy

Craggy

Resiting my Waggy

Post by Craggy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone help me please? During this winter I am going to resite my Waggy (my neighbour says it blocks his sunlight out). It has been in a 2' 6" raised bed for 7 years and is 7 '6" high. Has anyone had any experience with resiting a Waggy this old. I would hate it to die on me as it's in great condition.

Regards

Simon

pdid

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by pdid » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Tell the neighbor to p1ss off, 7ft 6 is hardly high is it? Unless it`s growing in front of his window or it`s outgrown it`s space, I would leave it where it is.

If you have to move it do it when the soil is warmer next year. Have a look at Kris` video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s7_xjiLvk

grub

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by grub » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Welcome to the Madhouse Craggy icon_thumleft , like Pdid say's
pdid wrote:Tell the neighbor to p1ss off, 7ft 6 is hardly high is it? Unless it`s growing in front of his window or it`s outgrown it`s space, I would leave it where it is.

If you have to move it do it when the soil is warmer next year.

Julia

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Julia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Craggy wrote:Hi All,
Can anyone help me please? During this winter I am going to resite my Waggy (my neighbour says it blocks his sunlight out). It has been in a 2' 6" raised bed for 7 years and is 7 '6" high. Has anyone had any experience with resiting a Waggy this old. I would hate it to die on me as it's in great condition.

Regards

Simon
Hello and welcome :)

Why dont you Pop a picture up so we can see what you are talking about. Im sure its not as bad as what your neighbour is making out....Sounds like its happy where it is!! :) I know if it was me, I wouldn't !! Lol

tropicalwon

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by tropicalwon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Welcome Simon icon_salut Like Pdid said is the best course of action........plus being in a raised bed, IMO, will add to the nightmare of digging out especially if the bed is narrow. You need plenty of soil around the roots (root ball) to have a much better chance for it to established/survive in it's new planting position.

Oh ya tell the bloke next door to swivel!!! icon_thumright

User avatar
Aidan Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:04 pm
Location: Gravesend, Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Aidan Brown » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm

topic moved from technical to main forum

mumfie

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by mumfie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 pm

your neighbours have absolutely no say in your tree what so ever. the only time anything can be done legally as far as i understand is for run of evergreens (4+) ie a hedge over 6ft on the boundary or if they can prove your tree is affecting the structure of their walls (which it wouldn't).

they can prune anything overhanging theirs but legally must return the prunings to you.

personally i think they should think themselves lucky that next door doesn't have a bloody great beech tree blocking half their garden for half a day. unfortunately that's what i have to put up with and their is nothing i can do about it.

the council would advise them to negotiate with you, but there really is nothing they can do. don't promise to move it, just say sorry it may kill my plant and i'm not prepared to risk it.

Julia

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Julia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:45 pm

mumfie wrote:your neighbours have absolutely no say in your tree what so ever. the only time anything can be done legally as far as i understand is for run of evergreens (4+) ie a hedge over 6ft on the boundary or if they can prove your tree is affecting the structure of their walls (which it wouldn't).

they can prune anything overhanging theirs but legally must return the prunings to you.

personally i think they should think themselves lucky that next door doesn't have a bloody great beech tree blocking half their garden for half a day. unfortunately that's what i have to put up with and their is nothing i can do about it.

the council would advise them to negotiate with you, but there really is nothing they can do. don't promise to move it, just say sorry it may kill my plant and i'm not prepared to risk it.

I agree !!

kracker

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by kracker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm

pdid wrote:Tell the neighbor to p1ss off, :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_salut .

If you have to move it do it when the soil is warmer next year. Have a look at Kris` video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s7_xjiLvk

Craggy

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Craggy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks to everyone for their comments, but as pdid also mentioned it is also getting to big for it's space.
Would I be better then, to move it in the Spring rather than the Winter unlike deciduous trees native to this country?

Cheers

Simon (Craggy)

tropicalwon

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by tropicalwon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Craggy wrote:Thanks to everyone for their comments, but as pdid also mentioned it is also getting to big for it's space.
Would I be better then, to move it in the Spring rather than the Winter unlike deciduous trees native to this country?

Cheers

Simon (Craggy)
I'd move it in late spring icon_thumright

User avatar
redsquirrel
Posts: 12169
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: bristol
Contact:

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by redsquirrel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

you could trench it now ready for spring,that way you wouldnt sever all the roots in one go and have lots of new ones in loose soil ready for the big heave ho next year. think i might be tempted to do 2 opposite sides this side of winter.

having said that,i fail to see how a waggy can outgrow its space? you have already endured the biggest space take it will offer.its only going up and out of the way from now on?
Last edited by redsquirrel on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure

kata

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by kata » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Simon,

Looks like you got answers.

icon_cheers

Trudytropics

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Trudytropics » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. Does your neighbour live in a Wendy house or something? :lol: , your tree is hardly a monster. Tell him you are ripping it up and replacing with a row of leylandii, he'll quickly pipe down.

Seriously though some good info been given already, good luck with the imminent removal icon_thumleft

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Resiting my Waggy

Post by Tom2006 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 pm

What a joke your neighbour must be. I'd be tempted to put up two foot of trellis on top of your fence and grow some clematis over it, seem how he likes that!? icon_thumright

But yes, I would move it April time next year IF you think YOU want to.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

Post Reply