Must haves

miketropic

Must haves

Post by miketropic »

Wasnt sure what section to put this in so I stuck it here ( move it if need be Dave ) Anyways everyone has a differant idea of exotic and tropical so I thought I would ask, what are plants you feel MUST be in your landscape to give it a true jungle feel? I use colo and alaocasia pretty heavy. Bananas of course multiple types as well. cannas are everywhere ad I am starting to venture over into the gingers. these 3 with a few odd balls like T rex and some palms round out my line up but I still feel like im missin somthing. can't wait to read all the input.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Must haves

Post by Dave Brown »

I had to think quite hard on this, as I am like you in what I like to grow. Just had a look out of the window and additional things for me are: Fatsia; Paulownia; Dicksonia antarctica; Cycad revoluta; Begonia luxurians, Fireworks, Minnie Caldwell, and Little Brother Montgomery; Black leaved Dahlia; Tree Dahlia; Manihot carthen..... ; Persian Shield; Agapanthus; Crocosmia; Tradescantia; Black Elderberry (Sambuca nigra); Ricinus; Impatiens New Guinea Hybrid for colour. May be more when I have a good look :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vagetarian »

I very much like your current list, and it matches mine pretty well. What I want to add to make my garden look more like a jungle are under story palms (if I can grow them big enough :lol: ) and some edible vines like tomatoes and kiwis, because what sort of a jungle has no vines?

Right now I just have a bunch of tomato plants in the middle of my garden but I think they could be incorporated for added effect, for example I have a tomato in the conservatory which is now tied to the roof and about to grow all the way across the room with tomatoes hanging down (fingers crossed).
kata

Post by kata »

Trachicarpus,

Dicksonia antarctica; (wish list)

Butia Capita:

Musa Basjoos:

Cannas:

Flowers

Begonias:

Cocosmia:

Dahlias:

Violas:

:mrgreen:
Dim

Post by Dim »

good suggestions, and add ferns (especially dryopteris affins 'the king') and hostas and for colour, huechera (especially when you use red and yellow planted in mass), mahonia, coleus, etc
Springy

Post by Springy »

Brugmansia, arundo donax, catalpa, various euphorbias, kniphofia, amicia zygomeris, gunnera are plants that also come to mind
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

bamboos, scheffleras, hydrangea aspera,large leaved rhododendrons,rhubarbs,nandina domestica,climbers and ramblers
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:I had to think quite hard on this, .... Black Elderberry (Sambuca nigra); .....
icon_scratch Boring ugly deciduous plant!

Granted the berries are good for wildlife though icon_thumright

PS Sambucus . . . Sambuca is a restaurant chain :wink: :lol:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

very interesting.. just goes to show how wide the idea of "tropical" and "Jungle" really goes. plenty of things for me to think on over the winter. thanks guys
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I had to think quite hard on this, .... Black Elderberry (Sambuca nigra); .....
icon_scratch Boring ugly deciduous plant!
That's a matter of opinion, It is perfect for where I grow it, I want a black backdrop in summer anbd nothing to block the sun in winter, and Green Elderberry is the natural scrub that grows in the meadowlands around here. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by huporhaha »

I like my sambucus nigras - I have several plus a couple of Black Lace - for someone living in the windswept wilds of the NW Highlands I couldn't resist taking this shot today - my black lace happily still in leaf so late in the season.......
Attachments
Sambucus Nigra Black Lace.jpg
Sambucus Nigra Black Lace.jpg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

The one plant I couldn't be without is brunnera jack frost, love it and looks great alongside hostas and ferns.
Dim

Post by Dim »

hakonechloa macra aureola

a must have for any type of garden ..... I normally plant these en masse along borders .... they even do well in sunny borders

http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/Grasse ... Hakone.pdf
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

cordyline, bamboo, palms, ferns, gingers, bananas, cannas, fatisa, choisya, phormium, euphorbia, colocasia, grapes, jasmine, clematis, passion flower, dahlia, agave, aloe, tetrapanax
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

If it looks architectural, exotic or is just weird, I must have it.

:)

I have a weakness for all palms and cordylines especially.