Is this a yucca of some sort?

redsquirrel

Re: Is this a yucca of some sort?

Post by redsquirrel »

looks like recurvifolia to me too, massive rootballs arent necessarily needed,these things can re-root if you saw them off.obviously will benefit from the more root you get though. not the ideal time to do it but should survive ok. just make sure your pot has plenty of broken crocks or grit in your compost for good drainage.it wont appreciate being waterlogged icon_thumleft
and yes you are right,it does look tropical, yuccas are one of the toughest hardiest exotic plant you can grow so deffo a good start in the new garden. it will develop into a biiiig plant so dont plant near a path icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Looks like an Astelia to me.. but maybe I'm blind !
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I thought Astelia too, just didn't have the courage to say so. The colour looks Astelia, but they don't have sharp points, or do they?!
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Well if I get time today I will dig out the unknow yucca lol and pop it in a pot and try and take a couple of bettwer pictures of it. mabe that will help detemant what type it is? icon_scratch icon_scratch
ts been bugging me as im wondering what sort of shape thicknes hight etc its would get to. :lol:

Kind regards
Steve. :wink:
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

righty hoo after getting stabed todeath digging it out and potting it up here it is lol

Close up of leaf and spikey end

So what sort do you all think it is still one of the ones mentioned?

Kind regards
steve :wink:
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

i'd still go with a Yucca filamentosa looks like one
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

redsquirrel wrote:and yes you are right,it does look tropical, yuccas are one of the toughest hardiest exotic plant you can grow so deffo a good start in the new garden. it will develop into a biiiig plant so dont plant near a path icon_thumright icon_thumright
Well for now it can stay in a pot ive added a bit of slow relese plant food to the soil and ruff rocks and broken pots to the bottom to help with dranage and put some gravel and pebbles on top to help weigh it down a bit for now so hopfully it will be ok It will either get planted out near the back somewere when i start getting the garden together next year or it will go in a large pot one or the other lol.

Kind regards
Steve :)
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ah that is much better, it looks like a Yucca gloriosa? Although I'm not sure Y. gloriosa have those ridges on the leaf surface?
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Yucca Flaccida?? I got two about the same size. They seemed to have been dormant for ages and small but this year have really come on well. One is on heavy soil and in a nasty exposed spot so this Yucca is as tough as old boots. One of these Yuccas I have moved to my raised bed with grit sand so hoping it romps away.

If you want to have a look for yourself then this web page may help-

http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/Y_names_UK.htm

Cheers Jerry

PS- later edit- might be Y. Filamentosa as this has nasty spines on the end of the leaf.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

cannondale28 wrote:Yucca Flaccida?? I got two about the same size. They seemed to have been dormant for ages and small but this year have really come on well. One is on heavy soil and in a nasty exposed spot so this Yucca is as tough as old boots. One of these Yuccas I have moved to my raised bed with grit sand so hoping it romps away.

If you want to have a look for yourself then this web page may help-

http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/Y_names_UK.htm

Cheers Jerry

PS- later edit- might be Y. Filamentosa as this has nasty spines on the end of the leaf.
hiya jerry thanks for the link. :wink:
I just had a look at Yucca Flaccida and Filamentosa on there and the pictures. Your right it does look very similer so well could be either it has the same look and groovy ridges to the leaves. There are a few difrent types of yucca around here so it could be any one of them or even another if its a seed that was dropped by a bird or somthing who knows. icon_scratch
I found lots of strange little sseedlings and kept a few to see what would happen most were lilys and such but as you can see this one grow rather big and spikey lol :lol:

Regards
Steve :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i was of the impression filamentosa had stringy bits on the leaves ??? they arent that nasty either. flaccida is one that does nothing for me,a bit floppy and scruffy for my liking in yuccas
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

redsquirrel wrote:i was of the impression filamentosa had stringy bits on the leaves ??? they arent that nasty either. flaccida is one that does nothing for me,a bit floppy and scruffy for my liking in yuccas
It isnt a very impresive looking one ive got but it was free soo... :lol: I do like the look of some of the others there is a lady up the road who has one in her front garden nothing else but that its very big prickely and looks far more dramatic than mine lol i went up the road the other day to ask her about it and she dosnt know the name other than its a yucca of some sort. I would like one of these more impresive ones at some point but im sure it will come in time. :wink:

regards
Steve. :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

make sure you keep in touch then Steve. those big ones crop up now and again on enay as digger uppers,ie,you have to go and dig them out, often go for peanuts as no ones wants to kill themselves doing it. yuccas are one of my main passions but as im learning more,im finding there are loads more of them out there
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

redsquirrel wrote:make sure you keep in touch then Steve. those big ones crop up now and again on enay as digger uppers,ie,you have to go and dig them out, often go for peanuts as no ones wants to kill themselves doing it. yuccas are one of my main passions but as im learning more,im finding there are loads more of them out there
dont worry i plan on sticking around. :wink: I would like some of the bigger leaved ones and some of them varigated and almost heghog looking ones are amazing lol :lol:

Regards
Steve :D
simon

Post by simon »

Definitely not filamentosa. As Darren said, that has filaments coming off the leaf margins as the name suggests. Also they are no-trunk forming and readily sucker instead. That plant has no filaments, no suckers and appears to be forming a trunk.

I would go for recurvifolia aka Y. Gloriosa var. recurvifolia.