Is this a yucca of some sort?

stevieboy1

Is this a yucca of some sort?

Post by stevieboy1 »

hiya all as some of you know im moving into a new house soon and will be keen to start a very small but tropical type garden. I was wondering round the garden here today deciding what if anything else i might want to dig up and take with me and came across this growing at the back of the flower bed behind my pond. I remember planting it a couple of years ago not knowing what it was all i knew was it was a small spikey thing lol anyways its grown to about 3 or 4 foot its got quite thick leaves with very spikey needle like ends. it stabbed me when i cleard the plant around it to look at it lol :roll:

could it be a young yucca of some sort or somthing else?

I was thinking it looks tropical so might take it with me. Might look nice if it grows big in a nice big pot mabe? What do you think?

kind regards
Steve :)
Julia

Re: Is this a yucca of some sort?

Post by Julia »

As you know Steve i'm new to all this :)
But it does look like a yucca :) so if it was me I'd dig it up, so you can take with you. Hopefully someone will be able to identify it for you soon ....
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Julia wrote:As you know Steve i'm new to all this :)
But it does look like a yucca :) so if it was me I'd dig it up, so you can take with you. Hopefully someone will be able to identify it for you soon ....

Thanks Julia, I so hope it is a yucca mind even if it isnt I might stilltake it as it looks like a big evergreen tropical type plant and would be interested to see what it will do. icon_scratch :wink:

Kind regards
Steve :wink:
Julia

Post by Julia »

stevieboy1 wrote:
Julia wrote:As you know Steve i'm new to all this :)

Thanks Julia, I so hope it is a yucca mind even if it isnt I might stilltake it as it looks like a big evergreen tropical type plant and would be interested to see what it will do. icon_scratch :wink:

Kind regards
You did say you planted it a couple of years ago. So it's survived winters outside, so I'm thinking the same as you , even if its not a yucca- take it with you. Nice looking plant :)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

well its evergreen what ever it is as it has stayed nice and green even after the big freeze in 2010 it got completly buried but its still green and growing what ever it is so definatly hardy. :happy:

it just bugs me that were moving this time of year mabe not the best time to dig up pot up and move plants with the frosts etc on the way but i so dont want to leave the them behind so need to try and take them at least. After ive potted them up i might stand them all near the house in a corner to see if that will just help them though the winter a bit.

Kind regards
David S

Post by David S »

This looks like a yucca recurvifolia.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

David S wrote:This looks like a yucca recurvifolia.
Ive just looked though some pics and i think you may be right! definatly looks a lot like some ive seen in the pics. :happy:

Thankyou. also a tropical plant, well an easy one but still tropical based lol So i will dig it up and take it too. icon_thumleft

Kind regards
Steve icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It looks like a Daylily to me, is it stiff leaved or sharp?
flounder

Post by flounder »

GoggleboxUK wrote:It looks like a Daylily to me, is it stiff leaved or sharp?
Oh dear Rick. It will only cost you a tenner
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:It looks like a Daylily to me, is it stiff leaved or sharp?
Its got very thick and quite stiff leaves and it has got a rather sharpe thick needle looking points to the tips. :)

ive got a few daylilys in and around this garden but none of them look and thick as that and they dont have sharp needle points to the ends.

so we still think its a yucca? icon_scratch

Kind regards
Steve :)
flounder

Post by flounder »

Yes yucca. The tenner is for gogglebox to have an eye test :wink:
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

flounder wrote:Yes yucca. The tenner is for gogglebox to have an eye test :wink:
ok hehe :>beard<: :lol:

Kind regards
steve :D
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

look like Beschorneria yuccoides.......
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That sharp on the ends...........def a Yucca. Pot it up with as much root as poss and keep it potted against a sunny wall of your house till next spring then plant out.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

looks like a Yucca filamentosa but nan has them popping up on her the garden they look similer to the one in the pic you posted