Post by stephenprudence »

Even more so, it's the; "Ill put everything in for winter now"

then a week later..

"Nope you're coming back out!"

I'm down for that one :lol:
dorothy

Re: Names down for the *delaying it for another week thread*

Post by dorothy »

Two musa in the garage, maurelli all dug and drying now, plant pots bubble wrapped & agave under cover. Also brought in my 2 cycads. Still have to get dahlia's in though and sort out canna. Going to leave cannas in ground and just mulch over them.Also have approx 150 tulip bulbs to plants but just haven't had time yet. :shock:
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Two musa in the garage, maurelli all dug and drying now, plant pots bubble wrapped & agave under cover. Also brought in my 2 cycads. Still have to get dahlia's in though and sort out canna. Going to leave cannas in ground and just mulch over them.Also have approx 150 tulip bulbs to plants but just haven't had time yet. :shock:
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

musa basjoo straw and fleeced.
Ensete in greenhouse drying out.
Dhalias and canna dug up and stored
Aeonium in greenhouse.

Besides the musa nothing fleeced yet but I keep a close eye on the 5 day forecast.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

A little roller movement has been noticed the last few days on all the aroids and the green ensete still in the ground. Two sikkis look like opening a leaf each.

The coming night and the following may get down to 3 or 4c but next week looks mild and frost-free so "delayed for another week"
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Second frost for me last night,but only the planted washie and brahma have there poly roofcoverings on, more for rain protection than anything else. Strangely enough basjoo, ricinus and cannas are still growing albeit very slowly. Planted agaves are under plastic cloches, again for rain protection really.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Only had one morning with ice on my windscreen but im done Basjoo insulated and Washy has new shelter made up and ready for later on i work some long hours no time
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

well planted the tulips today and did a tidy up but still have not dug dahlia's up or mulched anything.Found a dead mouse or rat courtesy of my bloody cats in the garden so that had me running in the house till hubby removed it :ahhh!: .By then, too late to do anything else.Still got washy to protect but also got another one inside conservatory in case one outside peggs it.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

flounder wrote:I'm sure my greenhouse is colder than it is outside!! Its raining so I'll leave it a while......again
Thats quite common in unheated greenhouses. A lot of people don't notice because they've no stat in the g/h. From the little i've read on it, apparently it has something to do with still air inside the g/h . Also, outside has a "heated " land mass that the g/h doesn't have. I've found its best to leave my louvre vents open to allow air to move from outside to inside the g/h and allow air to circulate.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've just purchases some logging sensors for greenhouse & conservatory (from Arexx). Greenhouse is in vegetable patch which is a bit more exposed than the main garden, where my weather station is, but so far greenhouse has been a degree colder on mild still nights.

Not sure I've bought the right kit though as the greenhouse sensor is dropping out quite a bit, so I'm either going to have to get a stronger emitter, or a relay station, or somesuch.

I'll let it run a few more weeks, and I could do with a few nights where temperatures plummet, to get some decent comparison graphs. I reckon I also need to get an outdoor sensor next to the greenhouse - to have a comparison figure rather than the weather station that is sited in a different spot.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Will be keeping my Trachycarpus`s+humi`s uncovered till its really cold. Still small plants but after surviving those cold winters recently im hoping theyve got a lot hardier since. Do they get hardier if growing up north in colder winters?
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

Had quite a frost sunday morning, had to scrape the car at 7am when i left work. but then the next few day have been really mild. 15c yesterday! didnt go below 10c last night either.

Colocasia has lost its biggest leaves but they have provided cover for everything underneath so its still pushing out new leaves.

Nanas and Cannas unharmed. The large leaves of the Nanas and Cannas do a wondeful job of protecting the soil from being frosted too.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Delaying it so far has done me proud. Two mild nights followed by sunny days and no wind has brought all the big leaves on.

Green ensete roller has half opened and both sikki rollers fully opened today. Pink china roller opened fully and planted Burgundy stem opened a new leaf. New rollers today on potted Col fontanescii and planted out C. esculenta and 'Jack's giant'. Two brugmansias threatening to show colour have both burst into bloom.

All these plants are in sunny, sheltered 'hot spots'. i took a probe to test the ambient temperature in these spots this afternoon. With the screened thermometer recording 15c the ambient temperature in the SW facing border against the house was 20.5c and the patio with it's SW facing loading wall and fence (over 10 ft combined height) 21.5c.

With the sun just five weeks away from it's lowest point, do you blame me for sitting out and sunbathing for twenty minutes periodically opening my eyes and staring at my big leaves :D
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

This current run of weather has been brilliant. I've not covered or moved a single thing so far this autumn/winter. No plans to unless forecasts show prolonged or severe frost.

icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No extreme cold on the horizon so we are good to go. icon_thumleft Opened my polyhouse door the other day once the temperatures lifted and it was lovely and warm inside. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.