The *delaying it for another week thread* 17th - 24th UPDATE

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: The *delaying it for another week thread* 17th - 24th UP

Post by Dave Brown »

Ensete Maurelii, 'Montbeliardii', and Colocasia 'Jacks Giant' were dug out and brought in, and Colocasia gaoligongensis, Pink China, and Mammoth clumps were mulched, yesterday.

Nothing to do with any cold forecast, just a window in the rain, so had to 'make hay, while the sun shines' :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Dave Brown wrote: and Mammoth clumps were mulched, yesterday.
Didn't realise they were ok to leave in the ground with a mulch. Always thought they'd be susceptible to rot etc.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Didn't realise they were ok to leave in the ground with a mulch. Always thought they'd be susceptible to rot etc.
I'll wait until the leaves have been killed by frost, then cut down, and cover with 'inside out' compost bags. Black side out :wink:

The rot is caused by being wet, to saturated, over winter. Kept dry, like under my eaves at the front, they have been coming back since planted out in 2008.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Dave Brown wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
I'll wait until the leaves have been killed by frost, then cut down, and cover with 'inside out' compost bags. Black side out :wink:

The rot is caused by being wet, to saturated, over winter. Kept dry, like under my eaves at the front, they have been coming back since planted out in 2008.
Cheers Dave icon_salut

I have to take mine out this year anyway as i'm moving them all to a much bigger bed but will certainly remember that for next year
shanks

Post by shanks »

running the gauntlet a bit although my new ploytunnel green house has arrived so will be sticking my pots in there this week, agave, jucca, ensette and sago, my washingtonia is getting a tomato greenhouse thrown over it when it gets too cold
the housing association has modified the facias of houses and not so careful scaffolders, builders etc have tramped all over the back garden damaging pots snapping my yucca at the base so not happy at the moment, they left it like a bombsite obviously did'nt see it was a nice garden or did'nt care, a rather robust email is making it's way to the association as we speak but disheartening :evil:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Another week another Gauntlet, although I think this weekend coming up I will be wrapping, some real cold prospects coming up it seems
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

got my big shelter up this weekend,too little too late.some of the yuccas and agaves are rotting already.too wet and possible dormancy spring to mind icon_thumbdown
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
flounder

Post by flounder »

I think its time to start moving stuff! Some dracaenas are starting to look scabby as are my cavs. The hibiscus are yellowing a bit so they're all off for a dry out under cover, then into the study
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I think this weekend, the start of December is the time to wrap. Temps forecast to be hovering not too far from zero both night and day.
Xmas decs go up this weekend too, so kinda apt that as I decorate the house I wrap the garden :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I try to avoid wrapping, Roger, draping on cold nights instead. Wrapping and rotting always go hand in hand for me :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by RogerBacardy »

ONly wrapping a few basjoo to keep the psuedostems, I'll be covering my collection of small agaves (like I did last year) and my small butia, and that's it. Nothing else to protect! :)
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Ensetes coming up today, cannas chopped and mulched and lasciocarpa will be cloched. I am going to only wrap my basjoos if we are forecast well below zero I think, as it seems the stems don't mind it a bit chilly. I think I wrapped for too long last year.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Just a quick sense check,

will my musa Basjoos and Dicksonia antarctica be ok unprotected till Saturday? I can chuck a fleece bag over the top, but want to wrap the musa particularly to save the p-stem...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

cordyman wrote:Just a quick sense check,

will my musa Basjoos and Dicksonia antarctica be ok unprotected till Saturday? I can chuck a fleece bag over the top, but want to wrap the musa particularly to save the p-stem...

The Musa might not be depending on the frosts we are likely to get this week. In fact the knuckles on the Dicksonia antarctica might be at risk so I would stuff their crowns with fleece, maybe wrap some around the base of the fronds as well. The weather looks to be taking a turn for the worse. Either its going to be very cold next week OR cold with lots of rain. icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

cordyman wrote:Just a quick sense check,

Is it going to be lower than around -4 for a prolonged period?
If so, then protect.