The *delaying it for another week thread* 17th - 24th UPDATE

cordyman

The *delaying it for another week thread* 17th - 24th UPDATE

Post by cordyman »

Be interesting to get a list of forum users who have succumbed to the "full wrap" and those who are holding out each weekend, looking at the 5 day ahead forecast and running the gauntlet for another week icon_thumleft :D

Apart from Ensetes, everything is still out unprotected, Musa Basjoo's, Dicksonia antarctica, Yucca T, T-rex, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Washingtonia Robusta etc etc All the stuff that in the coldest depths of prolonged winter freezes will possibly die without protection.

I'm guessing majority of us will wrap/protect everything on a weekend, so who's delaying it another week and letting this saturday & sunday go by?

The -2's and -3's on the next five days forecast have since warmed up enough for me to leave it another week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

Running the Gauntlet (21 members)

Cordyman
Googlebox
Nigel Fear
Karl66
Ourarka
Simba
Grub
Red Squirrel
Tom2006
GREVILLE
flounder
pdid
RogerBacardy
kata
Andy J
jimhardy
Nathan
Leigh
Dave Brown
paulrm71

Wrapping Up (8 members)

The Codfather
Adrian
mumfie
Half Hardy
DAVIDEVANS
dorothy
Darlo Mark
derrick
Last edited by cordyman on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Names down for the *delaying it for another week thread*

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ensetes are potted up and in the greenhouse but I haven't protected anything else and have no intention of doing anything further until we get forecasts of day and night minus temperatures.

Where I live there were many 20ft tall Cordys before 2010 bit so I'm not at all worried about them going through even -5 nights as long as the days are +5.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I'm hoping for another month yet.

Still got a load of junk in the potting shed, I can't even get in there to tuck anything away, so I'll start by clearing that out at least.
After that, I'm going to 'bang in' a few stakes so I can wrap a few things as and when it turns.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm just chilling & taking it a few days at a time!!, two many flappers on here :lol: . Every area & every garden is totally different so its a very individual thing. karl.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Only colocasia brought in so far ... and that was probably a bit premature as it is my first year with one. Everything else is 'as it was'.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Still standing firm in this part of Essex too....might drag a few pots under cover next week, but I don't intend to get the fleece out before December.. icon_thumbdown
grub

Post by grub »

My Maurelli are still out and nothing has been wrapped, as soon as the daytime temps are not getting above 6C and the nights are dropping regularly below 0C they'll be in. Phoenix canariensis_CIDP might get a fleece (if I can be bothered) when we're forecast -5C overnight but will only stay wrapped if the temps don't rise above 5C in the day.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

updated OP.

Be great to see how the list progresses as the cold creeps in
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

nothing protected here, im on the gauntlet page please icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

karl66 wrote: two many flappers on here :lol: . karl.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Only brought my Ensete's in to dry. I have had to put up the poly house for my Medularis as I was going to knacker my back further than it already is, lugging it to the garage and back with every frost.

Everything else is as it was in summer. I will only be wrapping my Cordy's and Waggies IF severe cold is forecast and will unwrap straight after its past (if we get it at all).

I wont wrap my Tree ferns, they will just get fleece in the crown if the temps stay above -5C. Anything lower and they will be dragged into my polyhouse.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Most (but not all) of my potted nanas went into the greenhouse earlier to avoid being shredded by the wind.

I've had a few close calls with some nights a fraction short of zero but no damage at all. I don't expect a dig out at present for a couple more weeks based on current forecasts so the Ensetes, Aroids and bedded tropical houseplants will stay as will their potted counterparts in my sheltered corners.
flounder

Post by flounder »

The only thing I've protected so far is.....um.....I'll do it before winter gets here, hasn't been cold enough to make me scurry. The cavs are still outside, might eventually get round to them sometime :roll:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Collies are up but that was mainly due to the wet. Cyathea`s are indoors too as I want to keep the fronds. Everything else is still in the ground unprotected.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Stick me in the 'risking it' category.

When serious frost arrives I will wrap my basjoos and stuff fleece in my Dicksonia, if temps drop further and -5c or lower is forecast I will wrap my small butia, ditto for my small agaves, properly wrap my dicksonia, and tie up the leaves of my cordylines (I've left the old leaves on to bulk them up, ready for winter).

I won't protect my trachies or chammies, the former won't need it and the latter are very good at recovering from spear-pulls. Also, my 2 ensetes I leave potted outside all year round, they are next to the house and under the cover of a veranda, so really well sheltered.

I used to try growing CIDPs and washies, but they got mushed every winter for the last 5 years, so now stick to hardier stuff.