aralia elata review

Mr List

aralia elata review

Post by Mr List »

anybody got this?

give me a review of the plant please.
how bad are the prickles, how fast does it grow,are they really bad suckers (worse thana t.rex?) any better hardy small trees instead etc...?
Conifers

Re: aralia elata review

Post by Conifers »

Looks nice in summer, boring in winter (bunch of big sticks). The spininess is variable, some aren't bad, others very spiny.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

How about an acer instead?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i am really after something much faster growing than an acer and i want something with the big jungly leaves.

to give you an idea , i am thinking maybe another t.rex or schefflera rather than an acer as alternatives if i can't decide on an aralia.

i am going for deciduous on the right side of the garden where this will be because that is the direction of the low angle sunlight in winter/spring
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Paulownia?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Cordyline?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Hi this is one i have had planted out in my garden for about three years. Image
It has behaved quite stangely icon_scratch .This is as far as it has grown for each of the last two years,in early june.Then all the new growth drops off completely,leaving the bare trunk.The first year it happend i thought it just needed time to get its roots down,but the same thing happened again this year.It's a shame because i think it could look quite impressive if it kept on growing through the summer.I also have a similar size cytisus battandiere(pineapple broom)which looks nice until the snails get to it :evil:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mr List wrote:i am really after something much faster growing than an acer and i want something with the big jungly leaves.
Acer pseudoplatanus grows a lot faster than Aralia elata :wink:
Half Hardy wrote:Hi this is one i have had planted out in my garden for about three years. It has behaved quite stangely icon_scratch .This is as far as it has grown for each of the last two years,in early june.Then all the new growth drops off completely,leaving the bare trunk.The first year it happend i thought it just needed time to get its roots down,but the same thing happened again this year.
You know it is bipinnate? Your photo shows a single stem with several leaves, nothing more, no branches. The things you think might be 'branches' are just leaf stalks, so no surprise they fall off in autumn.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Mr List wrote:i am really after something much faster growing than an acer and i want something with the big jungly leaves.
not sure if these are hardy for your area? ....

Magnolia macrophylla

-------------------------------------------------

Rhododendron sinogrande

-----------------------------------------------

Rhododendron rex ssp. fictolacteum

-------------------------------------------
Euphorbia x.pasteurii

------------------------------------
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

You know it is bipinnate? Your photo shows a single stem with several leaves, nothing more, no branches. The things you think might be 'branches' are just leaf stalks, so no surprise they fall off in autumn.[/quote]

Hi conifers,thats why i said it was acting strangely,the leaves don't fall off in the autumn.They keep dieing back in june.soon after they appear.I thought the first time it hapened, just after a dry spell,was just a lack of water.It is planted on quite a steep slope in full sun.Do you think it would be better with some shade?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Half Hardy wrote:Hi conifers,thats why i said it was acting strangely,the leaves don't fall off in the autumn.They keep dieing back in june.soon after they appear.I thought the first time it hapened, just after a dry spell,was just a lack of water.It is planted on quite a steep slope in full sun.Do you think it would be better with some shade?
OK! Misunderstood your query. It'll certainly appreciate plenty of moisture during the summer. Hot dry conditions aren't good for it. Light shade should be OK.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Aralia is a very robust, fast growing and beautiful tree. It suckers easily but it is not as invasive as sumach. I would like to have the one with yellow or white variegation but they are very expensive and apparently slow growers. Also they do not sucker easily as the green form.
call

Post by call »

that rhodo looks sick :D
Dim

Post by Dim »

call wrote:that rhodo looks sick :D
not one of mine ... all the pics are from google, and I'm merely showing leaf size
call

Post by call »

i got some more on my wishlist