Show me your Fatsia

User avatar
allangreenbean
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm
Location: peterborough

Show me your Fatsia

Post by allangreenbean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Fatsia Japonica, surely the backbone of any tropical looking garden.

Apparently these can grow to some spectacular sizes, I believe MR list has or did have one he dug up/borrowed from somewhere which was quite impressive .

Please post your Fatsia pictures and tell us about the varieties that are available.

Fatshedra or large leaved ivy's also excepted.

Post your photo's, share your knowledge.


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by cordyman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Image


pic from a fine day in November, on the right Fatsia Moseri


"More dramatic foliage and fruits than the normal F Japonica. Very large digitate leathery, evergreen leaves. Each leaf grows up to 45cm wide. Compound heads of white flowers arranged in spherical clusters in October to January. Partial to full shade in sheltered position"


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by miketropic » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Im about to order a fatsia japonica "spiders web" from a guy in the UK I'll post a pic when it gets here.
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


jezza
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by jezza » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Just the normal japonica for me. I did think about buying the variegated one but heard they aren't as hardy.

blog21.JPG


User avatar
joolz68
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:10 am
Location: United Kingdom,derbyshire

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by joolz68 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 pm

I bought a fatsia polycarpa approx 2 month ago its not very big thou ...look beyond the wind swept cordy to your left in the pic :D
Image


User avatar
allangreenbean
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm
Location: peterborough

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by allangreenbean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Some very nice specimens.

Cordyman, I guess you were playing spot the Fatsia :) I see you were obviously doing some beer gardening as well :wink:

Joolz, are you going to give your polycarpa some winter exposure when it gets bigger, Colin at Swines Meadow is seeing how his does outside unprotected over winter.

Jezza, very pretty example icon_salut

How about some large specimens and some other varieties.


User avatar
joolz68
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:10 am
Location: United Kingdom,derbyshire

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by joolz68 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:21 pm

allangreenbean wrote:Some very nice specimens.

Cordyman, I guess you were playing spot the Fatsia :) I see you were obviously doing some beer gardening as well :wink:

Joolz, are you going to give your polycarpa some winter exposure when it gets bigger, Colin at Swines Meadow is seeing how his does outside unprotected over winter.

Jezza, very pretty example icon_salut

How about some large specimens and some other varieties.
Well if colins lives through this winter allan i just might do next yr ..if it gets some decent growth on it during our next heat wave that is :lol: its on my bedroom window sill now..im too soft :D


User avatar
call
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: kent england
Contact:

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by call » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Image
Image
my annelsie :D i also have a spiders web but is very small and have no pictures at the moment might upload some later.
callum
growing exotics in sunny thanet icon_sunny
http://tinytropicals.blogspot.co.uk/


User avatar
Adrian
Posts: 5631
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by Adrian » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 pm

A few Fatsias here, annelise, spiders web, unnamed variegated and a few standard forms.
This one gets hacked into to keep it in check, Im forever cutting big limbs from it.
Attachments
022 (Medium).JPG
sorry webshots site no longer available
http://www.palmsociety.org.uk


User avatar
Adrian
Posts: 5631
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by Adrian » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

oops wrong pic, heres another to show it a bit better.
Attachments
043 (Medium).JPG
sorry webshots site no longer available
http://www.palmsociety.org.uk


User avatar
allangreenbean
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm
Location: peterborough

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by allangreenbean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Adrian wrote:oops wrong pic, heres another to show it a bit better.
That's certainly a monster Adrian, that's given me an idea of how big they can get.

Call, what are those daisies next to your fatsia, was just looking at some celmisia.


User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by Mr List » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:19 pm

i have three tiny annelise and one tiny spidersweb that have been unprotected in the cold that has just finished and i am surprised that they all look undamaged.

i'll have to get my camera out,
garden fatsia count:

regular
big one 'borrowed' in a 1m cube planter
2 in the ground
2 in pots

spiders web
1 been in a year
1 planted a couple months ago
both from duchy

annelise/annemie
3 little ones in the ground bought a couple of months ago for £6 each.

variegata
2 in the ground ,since this summer. from B&Q

i think it looks good to plant some of the variegated ones under a bigger plain green one.
it brightens the shade under the plain form and the bigger one provides over head protection


User avatar
allangreenbean
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm
Location: peterborough

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by allangreenbean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Mr List wrote:i have three tiny annelise and one tiny spidersweb that have been unprotected in the cold that has just finished and i am surprised that they all look undamaged.

i'll have to get my camera out,
garden fatsia count:

regular
big one 'borrowed' in a 1m cube planter
2 in the ground
2 in pots

spiders web
1 been in a year
1 planted a couple months ago
both from duchy

annelise/annemie
3 little ones in the ground bought a couple of months ago for £6 each.

variegata
2 in the ground ,since this summer. from B&Q

i think it looks good to plant some of the variegated ones under a bigger plain green one.
it brightens the shade under the plain form and the bigger one provides over head protection
Looking forward to seeing the pics, especially of the big one.

Saw some nice blue cube planters at B n Q currently at half price, waiting to see if they get any cheaper as there are loads left.


User avatar
call
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: kent england
Contact:

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by call » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:26 pm

allangreenbean wrote: Call, what are those daisies next to your fatsia, was just looking at some celmisia.
erigeron karvinskianus icon_thumright
callum
growing exotics in sunny thanet icon_sunny
http://tinytropicals.blogspot.co.uk/


JBALLY
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: leicester

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by JBALLY » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

One of my customers have a 25 foot fatsia japonica, its only the common green form but is more tree like now than a shrub. It is growing near a lagre brick wall so is quite protected and looks very impressive. It has also not had any damage from the recent cold winters and looks good all year round. Another customer has a smaller 12 foot specimen but their garden is quite exposed and it has open fields behind it so the fatsia ( also common green form ) has suffered die back in most of the recent winters but always looks better after a early summer tidy up and when it has put on a bit of new growth.


Post Reply