Show me your Fatsia

allangreenbean

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by allangreenbean »

Chad wrote:
allangreenbean wrote:Has anyone heard of this variety

Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham's Lace'
Fatsia polycarpa ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ is an informal name given to plants deriving from the late [and much missed] Edward Needham’s personal collection. Mainly propagated by seed they usually have more finely divided leaves than, for example, most of the Crug plants. They are not one clone and do show some variation. I note Crug have selected out a 'deeply cut' form as well.

'Needham’s Lace' was introduced by Cistus Nurseries in the States [though they don’t list it this year] and I am not sure if it is the same as ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ or if it was a cutting produced clone of a good form of ‘Edward Needham’s Form’. Either way the plants I have seen pictures of fall within the range we see in the Edward’s seedlings.

Chad.
Thanks Chad, very informative and educational, exactly why I enjoy hanging around HTUK icon_salut
brendan

Post by brendan »

I have 4 fatsia polycarpa edward needham form which were all from Lower Kenneggy nursery in cornwall. I brought the first one from ebay through a members of staff and the other 3 I picked up in spring while in cornwall. They have 2 good sized polycarpas planted at the entrance of the nursery and while I was there one was covered in berries so should be producing their own seed now a great nursery and a great plant.
franckm

Post by franckm »

Here are my regular one, and my spider web blooming.

Franck 8)
Attachments
Fatsia japonica - mars 2011_319x480.jpg
Fatsia japonica - mars 2011_319x480.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Fatsia 'spider web' - nov 2012_360x480.jpg
Fatsia 'spider web' - nov 2012_360x480.jpg (92.66 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Dim

Post by Dim »

My experience with the spiders web, is that grows very slowly (compared to the standard fatsia of the same size)

so, if you do buy a spider's web, buy the biggest that you can afford ...

I also found that the standard fatsia produces much smaller thicker leaves when planted in windy locations ... and always plant them in a shady position (the leaves go 'yellowish' when planted in a sunnier position) ...

I have seen a few standard fatsia that are well over 2m tall in my village ... I'm not sure that the spider's web gets as big as there are conflicting reports on the forums (some people say they only grow approx 1m tall?)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well once again I am calling on my friends ( or do you say mates over there ? got to check that lingo thread) to help me out with a few of these. I have the green form, spiders web and var. types tracked down. green from the US the other 2 from the UK and will be on there way after the 2nd.. I do want to try to get the other forms needhams and annelise, also from what I read the super rare oligocarpella ( might be old info) and fatsheda. If anyone over there has these and are willing to part with a small one id be glad to have it for a resonalble price. There just not that popular in the area I live in although I have heard from a few that they will over winter here with heavy mulch, at least the normal green form. If you don't have one but know a UK supplier who ships stateside that will be fine 2.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Here are some pics of mine, here's theone I can't see at the moment because the panels are in the greenhouse:

and the rest were taken today:

call

Post by call »

someone in my village who was very impressed with my plant knowledge has a nice sized fatsia jap. spiders web and it made me need to get one but mine is very small at the moment. :roll:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Just ordered my "spiders web" and Varigate from the UK. In the states there about 20 USD or £13 and then shipping but there all sold out of var. and don't carry spiders web. I paid £6.5 for each and a begonia lux. they are plug plants but I think I can get them to a good size fast with our heat.looking forward to getting them.

I told him to please package them well since its cold here. he said he would wrap in newpaper since thats what tramps use to keep warm and they would be fine :lol: ....tramps isnt a common word here and it caught me off guard to funny :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I thought American tramps were hobos and tramps meant sluts over there?

You won't have any bother with fatsia getting cold Mike, mine are all all year round in pots with no protection at all.

Won't they get destroyed my US customs though? They might think they are terrorist Fatsias if you get a dyslexic customs officer thinking they are Fatwas instead.

:lol:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I REALLLY hope this isnt the time but I have had no trouble with customs up to this point. Tramps do generally mean sluts here but no one ever uses the word tramps anymore, were acually a very vulgar bunch over here. when he said tramps it really made me LOL. He is shipping out after the new year so hopefully I can post pics shortly after. There is supposed to be a begonia lux in there as well so I hope all 3 make it through b/c the more I hear the worse the begonia seems about the cold
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Mike could I ask where you bought the plants from in the UK? I'd like to try a Spider's web and have no chance of finding one here.

Dilemma - should I bring up the 'tramps' means 'sluts' in American English in my English classes. I think my students will have a fit. It's bad enough explaining 'like' is pronounced 'lyike' and not 'lik' and 'sheet' has a loooonnnng vowel sound not a short one or you end up with 'sh*t'.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

LOL American english is funny. I havent heard anyone acually call someone a tramp except in old movies or somthing like that..lower back tattoos on woman are usually called tramp stamps but it still comes back to the slut term. If you were an acual tramp in english terms you would be a hobo or most likley they would say crack head or bum. I bet teaching english to a bunch of italians is a wonderful time..I"ll get you the guys name when I get back home and you can order one. they are plug plants but there cheap so it works out. I just hope none of the kids in your class act like the kids on Jersey Shore ( if you even have that program over there )
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

You know a Fatsia is big when you can just walk into the plant itself :lol:

This was taken in the lower part of the town a year or two ago.
Attachments
Fatsia.jpg
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I bought a Fats Jap Variegata last march, a nice specimen but the new growth burnt in some late frosts in April and ever since then the variegation has all but disappeared. The flowering buds burnt in the early frosts a few weeks ago.
I just hope it picks up this coming year.
call

Post by call »

go pee on it icon_geek
(seriously its supposed to bring out the variegation :wink:)