Show me your Fatsia

Caprier

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by Caprier »

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii44 ... fff4b1.jpg Hi AGB :) Hard to make out the Fatsia japonica in the photo, 'cos it's squashed in between an Acer palmatum and Philadelphus coronarius, but it was around 2.3m high by 2m wide. In deep shade, improved clay soil but in front of a laurel hedge. Lovely, bomb-proof big-leaved hardy 'tropical' :) I've still not got the hang of posting photos, have I? Bear with me..I'm blonde :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hi,
I will have to post a picture of my fatsia japonica, it is about 4 ft tall and every year it puts 1ft of growth it is constantly growing new lover branches which I may cut off when it gets to over 6ft so I can plant under it. :?
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

This is one of my Fatsias, Not sure what variety it is, i planted it around 3 years ago.
Attachments
Fatsia.jpg
Fatsia.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
call

Post by call »

thats just the normal f. japonica
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

Definitely an unsung hero of my garden icon_bigsmurf
Attachments
2012-12-23 11.09.39.jpg
2012-12-23 11.09.55.jpg
2012-12-23 11.10.09.jpg
2012-12-23 11.10.25.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here is mine after being dug up and stuffed in a pot which is too small for it. (Fatsihederas on the ground)
Attachments
fatsia.jpg
bonkersinbrighton

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

I have some babies growing from seed off my larger one harvested last winter about 6 have taken from shoving in one ball of seed (very technical term "shoving") :oops: :lol: the big one is in pot to the right of water but terrible pic i'm sorry was obviously originally trying to get one of D.A. I rescued the original so have no idea what type, presume just a bog standard. I neglect it terribly but non the less it about 5 foot in pot and has two strong stems/trunks.
approx. 6 months from seed
approx. 6 months from seed
Attachments
camera 2012 214.JPG
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Apparently as they flower this time of year they are a good source of pollen for insects.

I saw another one potted in someone's garden, it didn't look too healthy.

As I understand it they tolerate lots of shade.

I am surprised that more people don't have them in their gardens.

Keep the pics coming, noticed that spiderweb and variegated version do not seem to be as popular or is that they are just rarer.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

reputation of being less hardy.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Mr List wrote:reputation of being less hardy.
Don't mean to temp fate, but my experience with Spider's web puts it as an equal of Japonica.

Polycarpa has not been damaged by winter either.. icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Id like to see some large ones of the var. and spider web type. I am going to order one of each from a UK supplier and I will let you know how hardy they are next winter..I think Brian has the green ones so I'll grab one down there when I go.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

spiders web is a smaller version, itll never make the size of F. japonica, probably due to its very heavy variegation.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Simba wrote:
Mr List wrote:reputation of being less hardy.
Don't mean to temp fate, but my experience with Spider's web puts it as an equal of Japonica.

Polycarpa has not been damaged by winter either.. icon_thumright

same here but i think they have a reputation of being less hardy which may put people off.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Some pictures of my fatsia spiderwebs.
Attachments
garden august 2012 002.JPG
PICT0023.JPG
PICT0024.JPG
PICT0022.JPG
PICT0084.JPG
garden august 2012 014.JPG
brendan