Root ginger

fern Rob

Root ginger

Post by fern Rob »

Can you grow a ginger plant from conventional ginger you can buy from the supermarket and if so how would you do it :?:
Just curious as I have just purchased some large pieces.

Thanks
Rob
miketropic

Re: Root ginger

Post by miketropic »

I have one growing right now. all I did was soak it for 2 days and then pot it with a light on it 24/7 it took about 2 weeks and it started comming up. try to pick pieces that have alot of eyes on them which makes it faster. my only word of warning is once they come up they come up fast so if you don't have the space for them ATM wait until its closer to setting them out. I just trimmed mine down to keep it managable a few mins ago.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Thanks for the advice Mike, I will be following your advice.
The pictures are of the two pieces I purchased as they where the best, do you think they will do ok :?:
Attachments
Ginger root 1
Ginger root 1
Ginger root 2
Ginger root 2
Ginger root 3
Ginger root 3
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have even had piece's start growing in the kitchen when left out on the work surface and they have produced six inch leaves. I have grown them in the past very easy just keep frost free.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

If it works they are cheep foliage plants as they cost me £2.19 for them both.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I will take a picture of mine in a few there trimmed and looked better an hour ago. soak in warm water and change daily for 2 days. pot up and wait the tips of the eyes will turn a bright red color and soon push up. the roots grow very fast as well. I had one piece about the same size as yours and it shot up 3 spikes from one plant. I took it out of the prop and some leaves died back when it was sat near a window. they do not like the cold much. good luck they are easy to grow and cheap to buy.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Placed them in walm water like you suggested. Thanks for your help, and I'll post some pics once I pot them up :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I wrapped mine in kitchen paper, kept damp, in a Tupperware box (or cover with cling film otherwise it will dry out) in a warm spot until it sprouted and then planted in a pot.

I thought it was disappointing compared to other similar things (perhaps needs more Sun/Heat than we get here) so haven't done it since as decided that paying for something that would do a better job was more worthwhile. Can't argue with the price though :)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Kristen wrote:I wrapped mine in kitchen paper, kept damp, in a Tupperware box (or cover with cling film otherwise it will dry out) in a warm spot until it sprouted and then planted in a pot.

I thought it was disappointing compared to other similar things (perhaps needs more Sun/Heat than we get here) so haven't done it since as decided that paying for something that would do a better job was more worthwhile. Can't argue with the price though :)
I'v got them ready to sprut now, but I may try a heat mat to get them going. What do you think :?:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Bottom heat always helps kickstart those sorts of things, but I have had even better success by using damp kitchen to "chit" them, first, in a warm spot.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Kristen wrote:Bottom heat always helps kickstart those sorts of things, but I have had even better success by using damp kitchen to "chit" them, first, in a warm spot.
I'll do that now, thanks for that.
Robin H

Post by Robin H »

I've just picked up 3 pieces of ginger from the supermarket - it's worth a go for 30p for the lot and I'm itching to get something sown.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

I always keep ginger in the house , for cooking or they are good for flu and cold , I keep mine in a dark warm place and they usually germinate with no problem , I plant them outdoor in May , but not a great crop as they need warm to grow , overall it`s more fun with lemon grass , arrow roots (highly raccomand) , galangal and this year got 2 begs full of curcuma ......more fun .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, I'm growing the Ginger gust to add a little new foliage to the garden. :D

I did first soak the Ginger and they have started to bud. :D
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Rob , they don`t grow so much , if you are lucky they will reach 1 foot , but get them wet , put them in a food beg and place them in a warm place ........ if you want to add foliage to your garden buy some eddoes for morrison or tesco , even lemon grass will grow more the ginger .....or if you want to start something funny and have a warm place buy a papaya , they have nice leaves and can be planted outdoor as ornamental leaves .