Root ginger

fern Rob

Re: Root ginger

Post by fern Rob »

Sal73 wrote:Rob , they don`t grow so much , if you are lucky they will reach 1 foot , but get them wet , put them in a food beg and place them in a warm place ........ if you want to add foliage to your garden buy some eddoes for morrison or tesco , even lemon grass will grow more the ginger .....or if you want to start something funny and have a warm place buy a papaya , they have nice leaves and can be planted outdoor as ornamental leaves .
Do you but the papaya as a fruit and remove the seeds or is it root you buy.
Thanks again
Steph

Post by Steph »

Papaya is a fruit.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Hi Rob , buy a normal papaya , i would roccomand the small variety you find in the shop , scoop the seeds , let them dry for 3 day and plant them in single pot , they don`t like if you touch the roots.

same way you can grow
Kiwi
eddoes
chilli peppers
avocado
guava
dragon fruit
date
lemon grass (just put the sticks in water )
coconut (yes they germinate as well)
almond
azelnut
passion fruit
pomegrane (hardy outdoor)
figs (hardy outdoor)
bradfruit (great leaves)
sugar cane (will need hot)
yam roots
galangal
arrow roots
nut grass (asian shop it a papyrus that it`s hardy in UK)
water cest nut.
chayote (really easy)

and i got another 100 on my list
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Normal root ginger are a bit of fun to grow and cheap but you should also grow some ornamental gingers as the foliage is a lot larger, more impressive and exotic and you get the bonus of flowers plus quite a few of them are hardy enough to be left in the ground over winter with a mulch to protect the rhizome.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sal73 wrote:Hi Rob , buy a normal papaya , i would roccomand the small variety you find in the shop , scoop the seeds , let them dry for 3 day and plant them in single pot , they don`t like if you touch the roots.

same way you can grow
Kiwi
eddoes
chilli peppers
avocado
guava
dragon fruit
date
almond
azelnut
passion fruit
figs (hardy outdoor)
bradfruit (great leaves)
yam roots
galangal
arrow roots
water cest nut.
chayote (really easy)

What is the technique to growing the coconut from the supermarket :?:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

JBALLY wrote:Normal root ginger are a bit of fun to grow and cheap but you should also grow some ornamental gingers as the foliage is a lot larger, more impressive and exotic and you get the bonus of flowers plus quite a few of them are hardy enough to be left in the ground over winter with a mulch to protect the rhizome.
I'm thinking of getting some, do you no any that are most of the time hardy.

( Sorry everyone about the two posts I don't no how to quote two things at once :( :lol: .
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Hedychium densiflorum assam orange should be fine for you Rob, it is one of the hardiest and also flowers relatively early as well. But there is a huge range of ones you could try and they go well with canna's as well ( another must have in my book along with dahlias ) if you like colour as well as foliage.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I normal seed dahlias every year.
Thanks or the recommendation. :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Sal73 wrote:Hi Rob , buy a normal papaya , i would roccomand the small variety you find in the shop , scoop the seeds , let them dry for 3 day and plant them in single pot , they don`t like if you touch the roots.

same way you can grow
Kiwi
eddoes
chilli peppers
avocado
guava
dragon fruit
date
almond
azelnut
passion fruit
figs (hardy outdoor)
bradfruit (great leaves)
yam roots
galangal
arrow roots
water cest nut.
chayote (really easy)

That is a nice list. I havent tried them all but most. some work alot better than others. I have some seeds for a dawrf pomegrante and papaya but havent sown them just yet. the dwarf papaya can fruit at around 3 ft so its a nice one to get..suge cane does need alot of heat which we have but we have colder winters and it won't take that. I never could get dragon fruit to spout after 2 or 3 differant methods. avacados are very easy as well and mangos.. the coconut has been the hardest..never have gotten it to work after 4 or 5 trys. its seems like a easy thing to set up and do but I just can't get it to work...end up growing a coconut covered in mold and fermented coconut milk..good luck if you try any of them
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

the coconut is really easy to germinate , if you got enough heat .
sugar cane take too long to root and only managed to get to 3 feet tall.

coconut.

do have many picture of my past projest , but takes to long to upload pictures .
we know that we can buy an alocasia , a pinapple plant or an hardy ginger , but it`s the funny side
of sperimenting .

look how amazing an cheap are 2 pinapple

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sal73 wrote:the coconut is really easy to germinate , if you got enough heat .
sugar cane take too long to root and only managed to get to 3 feet tall.

coconut.

do have many picture of my past projest , but takes to long to upload pictures .
we know that we can buy an alocasia , a pinapple plant or an hardy ginger , but it`s the funny side
of sperimenting .

look how amazing an cheap are 2 pinapple

I managed to get a pineapple growing then the centre turned to mush :( . But I will try to grow the coconuts.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have 3 pinapples. one was a top I rooted another a top from the fruit I grew and the last the large mother plant. I would say pinapple is about the easiest thing I have done..

any tips on how you got that coconut to germ? I just had it in a plastic bag with some moisture in a really hot shed all summer and it did nothing for me.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Mike , soak the coconut for at least 3 days , a tropical fishtank is the best option , or any warm water .....
Also as you live in Us check the country of origin , I was reading that every fruit coming out Costa rica and hawaii are threat with xray to kill bacteria and germination , the country of origin is really important , from 3 years I tryed to keep the mango alive and always failed , untill a friend told me to try with the pakistani mango , finger cross is still alive and green .
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

As recommended above, Assam Orange has been hardy for me. I have tried and lost gardneranium, ellipticum and maximum

Also found Cautleya spicata & spicata robusta have survived, at least until accidentally dug up :roll:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, the root ginger as started to swell, I hope that's a good thing, im going to pot it up tomorrow. :D