Tetrapanax Papyrifer seed germination

Ricardo

Re: Tetrapanax Papyrifer seed germination

Post by Ricardo »

Just for you JoelR (and anybody else interested), picture of now 6 month old Tetrapanax and others of the same age.

Left to right is Fatsia Japonica, centre is Patsia Polycarpa and on the right is the Tetrapanax. They have been kept all autumn and winter in a cold greenhouse and as you can see, the slowest growing is the Polycarpa.

So.....is it worth growing from seed?

Regards

Ricardo
Attachments
DSCF0012.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I was reading over that link Chad posted and there was mention of a red leaf form in holland..what has become of that Ive never even seen a picture. If it is an honest tetrapanax with red leaves I WANT ONE NOW! :lol:
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Ricardo wrote:Just for you JoelR (and anybody else interested), picture of now 6 month old Tetrapanax and others of the same age.

Left to right is Fatsia Japonica, centre is Patsia Polycarpa and on the right is the Tetrapanax. They have been kept all autumn and winter in a cold greenhouse and as you can see, the slowest growing is the Polycarpa.

So.....is it worth growing from seed?

Regards

Ricardo
Thank you Ricardo. I grow a lot of plants from seed and I'm never deterred by failure. Tpnx seed has beaten quite a few of us so it's encouraging to see your success here. :D
Chad

Post by Chad »

Ricardo,

How confident are you that the plant on the right is a Tetrapanx?

I may be being misled by juvenile leaves, but it looks very shiny on the top and bottom of the leaf as well as the leaf stalk. Is the Tetrapanax in the middle perhaps [even that looks a bit 'smooth'] and the plant on the right the Fatsia polycarpa? It is a very exciting set of seedlings. Keep us posted on how they develop please. I’ve never grown Tetrapanax from seed and it will be interesting to see how quickly the leaf shapes change.

Chad.
JRT256

Tetrapanax Papyrifer seed germination

Post by JRT256 »

I offer these instructions for non-fresh seeds with no warranty:

Place in a good sterile well drained seed compost about 1/4 inch deep.

Keep moist in a refrigerator at about 5C for 1 month for cold stratification.

Then move to a warm place at about 20C.

Germination is erratic in 1 to 3 months after removal from refrigerator.

These appear to be unremarkable instructions for seeds which require cold stratification.