Jubaea question-Can they be moved? PLUS Palmcentre Picture's

Steph

Re: Jubaea question-Can they be moved? PLUS Palmcentre Pictu

Post by Steph »

I just had a delivery from the Palm Centre and must say the plants were absolute quality, much bigger than shown in the pics on the website, so excellent value.
My husband may not be in agreement regarding the Trithinax Campestris though 'cos the spines are spectacularly vicious, poked thru loads of bubblewrap, nasty surprise when accepting the delivery.
Now the plant has just relaxed itself since its was unwrapped, it looks even bigger.
Best to err on the cheaper side if in doubt.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Steph wrote:I just had a delivery from the Palm Centre and must say the plants were absolute quality, much bigger than shown in the pics on the website, so excellent value...............
Any pics Steph ?
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Very nice Jubaea's Scott icon_thumleft

Some nice looking palms at the centre.......I would love to purchase a large palm of sorts, but the price of them are toooooooooooo far out of my range.......
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Great palms for the price! Good decision to get a few.

I love seeing pics from TPC but it does make me wish they had somewhere like that up here. Online shopping is all well and good but a visit to somewhere like that must be very inspirational.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the Jubbys.

;)
Steph

Post by Steph »

Palm Centre pics:

The Trithinax pic doesn't do it justice, its a magnificent plant.
photo.JPG
Trithinax Campestris
IMG_0907.jpg
Encephalartos senticosus
IMG_0911.jpg
Cycas Rumphii

I also included in the order a small flat fern and a Brunera which were both excellent value as well.
Last edited by Steph on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Some great stuff in the pics, have you any idea how much the Xanthorrohea was. :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Nice plants Steph, liking the cycads . Is the Rumphii the £22.46 one, if so excellent value imo
Steph

Post by Steph »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: Is the Rumphii the £22.46 one,
Correct, the Encephalartos was £111 & the Trithinax £74....
I am well pleased with my haul, just had a silly idea that I could store the cycads in hanging baskets in the conservatory over winter. No chance.
Arlon Tishmarsh

You've done well ..... icon_thumleft

What height is the Rumphii above the pot plz Steph. Again, the PC web pics seem to do an injustice to the actual size of plants supplied. Must say i'm very tempted. Already have a nice size circinallis, closely related to the Rumphii, i believe.
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

The Rumphii and Trithrinax were great prices. I still can't believe I didn't see the Jubaea.

Its always good at the palm centre, they seem to have new stock all the time.

I got a Chamaerops Humilis Cerifera for £140 in the sale.
Attachments
IMGP3575.jpg
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Thanks guys! :)

ash101uk I did struggle to find them, they were right at the back on the left where there's a zigzag path.

Tropicalwon The big palms are nice, I reckon some big deals could be done if you had a spare few thousand! lol But I think it would still be a risk with the washy.

I agree Googlebox, it's my second time to the palm centre, both times by myself as the other half didn't want to go, but its great just to have a wander round. Benefit of the other half not going, is that she can't see how much I'm spending!!

Although i'm near the palm centre, I think it would be good to be near places like Amulree though.
Last edited by Addictedtopalms26 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: What height is the Rumphii above the pot plz Steph.
I'd say just below 1metre.
You are not the only one that has a taste for cycads...
Had my eye on the Roger Brooking cycads on EPS until I realised Palm Centre had begun selling them and in more manageable sizes.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Steph wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: What height is the Rumphii above the pot plz Steph.
I'd say just below 1metre.
Thanks, great size / value. I feel an order coming on :D
Steph wrote:.
Had my eye on the Roger Brooking cycads on EPS ..........
Me too, till the prices were listed............. :shock:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Three nice Jubs there Scott, getting back to your original question, I have just received my new LBS Horticultural Supplies catalogue. On page 99 they have a new pot called "Easy Root Pots". Used for growing plants in the ground typically for 3 to 5 years. Plant your Jubs in the pot then dig the pots into the ground, then forget them , could be useful for any one who is thinking of moving in the next few years. icon_thumright Unfortunately they only sell by the pallet full £1,140-00 plus VAT. However as you only need three you could make your own. They appear to be an ordinary plastic pot with what appears to be 2mm holes at 50 mm centers all around the sides and base of the pot so that small fibrous root poke out of the pot but are restricted from growing to big by the small size of the hole. when you wish to move them just slide your spade round the pot to sever the rootlets growing round the sides and lift. You would have to use a a planter with no drainage holes in the bottom or the roots would grow through the bigger drainage holes and you would struggle to extract them from the ground. icon_thumright