Palm spotting in the Wirral, update 4/11/2013

Alexander

Re: Palm spotting in the Wirral.

Post by Alexander »

That seems to be near Liverpool. Another mild area then. But one garden has also some kitsch so to see...

Alexander
Ste

Post by Ste »

Fantastic pictures, i'd given up on hope with Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's here as they diddn't get through the winters but these pics have made me feel like trying one again. After all, they are fairly cheap so its no big loss if they die. Im an hour north of you, I wonder if there will be a big difference in temps or not :roll:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GREVILLE wrote:That's well and truly knocked on the head the idea that there's only the odd palm here and there up north.
It's not up north, it's 200 km down south :wink:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice pictures, another hot spot for palms a bit further west is Abersoch, if ever your that way. The place is full of them. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

There is one Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Hull which survived all the recent winters unprotected. Its fronds are probably 12+ feet high, maybe more. Its right up against a small council house although that area got thumped for the cold in 2010 so not sure how it survived icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Nice pics and food for thought for me definitely icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice pics of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, but the problem is where they are planted close to the house wall.... It is protected enough to survive, but is it close enough to crack the wall in the future :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave the one in the raised border outside the flat complex is far enough away from the wall not to cause problems, as is the one in the garden, they are nothing to worry about.

As for the group of them in West Kirby, well I posted a photo of these a while back, and the conclusion was these are perhaps planted too close together, and the retaining bed is too high.. I think you may be right in that case, but lets see what happens.. I always though this planted was in someones garden, but it's not, it's like a private street, so that's been done by a group of people living in the area, or by a housing corporation
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Excellent! Why has it taken so long to share these palms with us? Lol. Really good specimens there, have they been there long?
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

nice pics :) glad to see a few big palms round our area :D loving how the washie is alive still after the winter of 2010 icon_scratch and see u got the picture of the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's on the grass in west kirby a house behide there was a job i was doing a sand stone wall, concrete drive ect which in that steet is a tall cordyline
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

do you think once CIDPs get to this trunk width they become pretty much bullet proof? if in a sheltered location like this?

It would take some doing to freeze through that trunk

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/d ... &mode=view
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I think once they get to certain size they are capable of taking maybe 2-3c more than a specimen that hasn’t matured a trunk yet. However all of these palms are in very favourable conditions it must be said, protected by buildings from prevailing winds and close to walls or houses for heat to radiate overnight. I'm not convinced the washingtonia was there in 2010 as I suspect this garden replaces anything that dies. Its not been protected this winter though.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

There was a huge one in Hull which laughed at winter 2009 but was toasted and killed winter 2010. Maybe the two back to back put paid to it, rather than just 2010 alone? The one that died was also very close to a house wall. I wonder if genetics of a particular plant plays a part as well?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Possibly, I did think that it could come down to individual plants and on the Wirral only the toughest have made it. But I think location is the real key, Hull is colder in winter, even if you recreated identical locations and protective walls etc.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Sadly I think that Washingtonia will be killed in the net few weeks, it may well be an expensive year for replacements if the outlook is correct. Those CIDPs should be fine though!