Palm spotting in the Wirral, update 4/11/2013

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Palm spotting in the Wirral.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Tom2006 wrote:There is one Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Hull which survived all the recent winters unprotected. Its fronds are probably 12+ feet high, maybe more. Its right up against a small council house although that area got thumped for the cold in 2010 so not sure how it survived icon_scratch
Is this palm still there? Would love to see it some pictures if it is. icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms

Re: Palm spotting in the Wirral, update 4/11/2013

Post by cheshirepalms »

Went round to take some updated pictures of the palms and tropicals from my area, some nice updated ones and some new finds, including some huge Yucca Elephatipies! Hope you enjoy them.
Attachments
wirral1.jpg
wirral1.jpg (96.76 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
wirral2.jpg
wirral3.jpg
wirral4.jpg
wirral5.jpg
wirral6.jpg
wirral7.jpg
wirral8.jpg
wirral9.jpg
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

A few more...
Attachments
wirral10.jpg
wirral11.jpg
wirral12.jpg
wirral13.jpg
wirral14.jpg
wirral15.jpg
wirral16.jpg
wirral17.jpg
wirral18.jpg
wirral19.jpg
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Very interesting, I had not seen those Yuccas before, they're a fair size.. quite brittle looking, they need to develop the elephant foot trunk! Nice find though!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Whats the last tree? sure i've seen loads of them on Formby beach, albeit more windswept! very nice.

Also the Americana Agaves? had no idea they could make it overwinter anywhere in the UK?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:Whats the last tree? sure i've seen loads of them on Formby beach, albeit more windswept! very nice.

Also the Americana Agaves? had no idea they could make it overwinter anywhere in the UK?
Its an Italian Stone Pine, the ones at Formby are Scots Pine, they can look similar when windswept, but the cones are unmistakeable. In mild costal locations Agaves are fine, the drier the better though, loads in Torquay. I even got a planted small one through last winter.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote:
cordyman wrote:Whats the last tree? sure i've seen loads of them on Formby beach, albeit more windswept! very nice.

Its an Italian Stone Pine, the ones at Formby are Scots Pine, they can look similar when windswept, but the cones are unmistakeable. In mild costal locations Agaves are fine, the drier the better though, loads in Torquay. I even got a planted small one through last winter.
ooooooooooh I may have to try one, did you protect it planted outside?

Love those pines, drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Plain green ones are hard as nails (Agave americana), probably down, in fairly dry conditions, to around -10C when roots are fully developed.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:

Yeah I put a washing basket over it, supported by wooden struts during snow and a layer of thin fleece during harsh frost. It will be in some of the pictures of my front garden in my blog.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:

This is my Agave at the moment, going to have to start keeping it dry if we keep getting this amount of rain all winter.
Attachments
agavenov.jpg
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Its an Italian Stone Pine, the ones at Formby are Scots Pine, they can look similar when windswept, but the cones are unmistakeable.

No need to protect it, Stone Pine is fully hardy in most of Britain.