How many Fatsia Japonica varieties

allangreenbean

How many Fatsia Japonica varieties

Post by allangreenbean »

Other than nana's and trachies the garden staple seems to be fatsia.

My question is how many types are there?

And when will someone develop a super massive leaved variety, fatsia hardiness with alocasia/colocasia leaf size - am I asking too much :roll: .
flounder

Re: How many Fatsia Japonica varieties

Post by flounder »

allangreenbean wrote:And when will someone develop a super massive leaved variety
tetrapanax, same family, araliaceae :wink:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there like baseball cards I got to collect em all..sure I never will though the next 2 are giving me alot of trouble but id like to know all known types as well
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I can think of:

Japonica
Variegata
Spider's Web
Moseri
Polycarpa

but I'm sure there are more. There are certainly many many more Arailia which is the genus that Fatsia belong to.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

There's also the Fetshedera varieties which are Fatsia crossed with Hedera (Ivy).
simon

Post by simon »

Polycarpa is a separate species, not a variety of F. japonica.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

As far as I know, Fatsia genus has 3 species, Fatsia japonica, Fatsia polycarpa and Fatsia oligocarpella.

There is also a hybrid between Fatsia japonica and Hedera, named Fatshedera lizei. It grows like a vine and not like a shrub like all the others. I quite like Fatshedera as it has large pale green leaves, sometimes they look like a small Fatsia japonica leaf, sometimes like ivy and sometimes a mix of the 2. Hardy plant and one to consider.

Fatsia japonica varieites that I can think of:

Fatsia japonica 'Spiders Web'
Fatsia japonica 'Spiders Web' - but with the snakes skin affect on the leaves (not sure if this has a different name)
Fatsia japonica 'Annelise'
Fatsia japonica 'Variegata'
Fatsia japonica 'Moseri'

As they are varieties you will find plants which do not fall into the above or will be a mix of the characteristics of each variety.

I think that there are 2-3 varieites of Fatsia polycarpa, am sure someone will know.

Never seen Fatsia oligocarpella and no idea if there are varieties of it!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

very interesting I am going to keep looking over here but I think I will have to look to the UK once more to get the few that I am missing