kata

Re: Are you wrapping your trachys? POLL

Post by kata »

The children love this weather, yours too.... :lol:

icon_cheers
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

the fleece bags will hopefully be off next week.
Attachments
snowman and wrapped trachies.jpg
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Well a first for me :roll: , I could be seen last night in my dressing gown and wellies at 1am with a broom in hand. I hand to knock the snow off my trachies leaves, the weight of the snow was dragging them so far down, I was worried sick they would snap :( I spoke to my hubby who is in Scotland and he said it was going to keep snowing till the early hours, I knew I wouldn't rest until I had tried to help my trees. They look okay this morning thank goodness.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Trachycarpus is not hardy, the pics of my garden have been photoshopped. Don't waste your money buying one unless you have a heated greenhouse, as they won't survive the winter. Stick to Roses, they don't die.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

:lol: I don't quite get it myself Dave...
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Ive covered mine.
One fortunei as it was only planted in march last year and 2 waggies while they are only small.
All my Trachycarpus's died last year, and all the ones in the neighbouring area also died.
They are having problems in keeping them alive in the garden centres too.

In england i wouldn't bother covering them.. Your winters are not as harsh as they are here in germany.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kohwoz wrote:Ive covered mine.
One fortunei as it was only planted in march last year and 2 waggies while they are only small.
All my Trachycarpus's died last year, and all the ones in the neighbouring area also died.
They are having problems in keeping them alive in the garden centres too.

In england i wouldn't bother covering them.. Your winters are not as harsh as they are here in germany.
Yes, kohwoz, I agree you need to protect, and I can understand protecting small and newly planted ones in the UK, or if temps below -15C are forecast, but for the vast majority of places there is no problem, most of the time.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

"Are you wrapping your Trachys?"

Well the rootballs wrapped. :lol:

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Nice one Bob, i thought you'd left it behind icon_thumleft
Bob

Post by Bob »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Nice one Bob, i thought you'd left it behind icon_thumleft
I was determined to bring this Waggie Mark, just a shame I didn't have the resources to dig out the bigger Fortunei that had to stay.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

great mountainous views there bob! you still in North Devon?
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

All my large and small potted Trachycarpus's were unprotected until this latest cold snap but as soon as I realized that the cold was going to be a in for a couple of weeks I bubble wrapped the pots and then fleeced bagged the plants. All my other tender palms and plants are in my heated greenhouse or one of my other unheated greenhouses. But after a couple of -6 nights and days below freezing and on checking the pots and them being frozen solid they were all dragged into my garage. The only Trachycarpus I have protected outside is a small one about three feet tall that was only just looking good again after 2010/11 winter and I have put a roll of vinyl flooring a round 4 canes in a teepee shape around it with large pot on top of the canes then a white fleece bag over it to ( make a snowman with all this snow ) because it is in a prominent spot in my front garden and I want it to keep all its new full head of tidy leaves, another one same size round the back has been left uncovered along with my bigger ones. I just wanted to add I personally think we are back to normal winter lows at the moment but that still does not mean I will not worry about my plants as I always have tried to protect and look after them its just about getting a proper prospective and try not to go over the top.
Bob

Post by Bob »

cordyman wrote:great mountainous views there bob! you still in North Devon?
Would be nice if they were mountains Cordy. I've only moved about a mile or so inland up to bungalowland on a hill.