Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by Rabbie »

Can they be grown out of water?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Rabbie wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Rabbie wrote:The little lady got me some arrow plant bulbs from the chinese wholesalers today along with some eddoes. Down side is that I have no idea just what they will become. :P
Any pics ?
Here you go.
Apart from the middle bulb, it looks like they have cut off the growing point of the bulb where the stalk comes out, so you will probably not get any Arrowheads coming up from those this year from those.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Rabbie wrote:Can they be grown out of water?
No but you can grow them as a bog plant so simply place the pot in a bowl of water and that will do.
First though they must be started off in just water so place tubers in a bowl of water until the growing point has stated to grow and its produced some roots,the you can pot them up.
It’s a nice looking plant that get to about 3ft, the ones I have develop a reddish stem, it’s hardy too icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Tony,

Yacon is a great plant. Did you get any a few years back when Steve-The-Lizard was giving them out?

The tubers are really tasty and great in stir fry or raw. It's like eating a fruit - very apple/pear-like in texture but the sweetness is quite subtle. I read that it is the only tuberous plant that stores its energy as sugar instead of starch.

I didn't manage to succesfully over-winter my original plant as the stored tubers went soft and shrivelled. I managed to get another one last spring from the Edulis stand at the Savill Garden plant fair. This autumn I dug it up and removed all the swollen tubers for eating, cut the stems right back and repotted in dry compost for winter storage. Fingers crossed it reshoots this time.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Palmer wrote:Hi Rabbie,

That tuber is a pond plant called Sagittaria sagittifolia also called arrowhead.
I grow it in my pond on the allotment, bought it from my local chinese supermarket.
It tastes bland, with a starchy texture, similar to a potato but somewhat crunchier, even when cooked.
So they say!

Edit.....

Caution!! make sure you cook them first :lol:
Ingestion of raw tubers may cause fluxes, diarrhea, weakness and hemorrhoids.
Pregnant women should not eat them.
I wonder were i could find Sagittaria sagittifolia not seen that about but would look lovely growing in the corner of my pond I like the long pointed tropical type leaves it has very nice.

anyone know were ic an find them?? :lol: :lol:

regards
steve
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I bought a Yacon from Jungle Seeds I think it was just before Christmas. They recommended growing it on straight away which I have done. On another website they say that the tubers are for eating but the pointy bits? are for growing on. http://www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

simon wrote:Hi Tony,

Yacon is a great plant. Did you get any a few years back when Steve-The-Lizard was giving them out?

The tubers are really tasty and great in stir fry or raw. It's like eating a fruit - very apple/pear-like in texture but the sweetness is quite subtle. I read that it is the only tuberous plant that stores its energy as sugar instead of starch.

I didn't manage to succesfully over-winter my original plant as the stored tubers went soft and shrivelled. I managed to get another one last spring from the Edulis stand at the Savill Garden plant fair. This autumn I dug it up and removed all the swollen tubers for eating, cut the stems right back and repotted in dry compost for winter storage. Fingers crossed it reshoots this time.

Hi Simon,
Yes I do remember Steve talking about them but they didn’t appeal to me as garden plants back then, now I have the allotment though they will make an interesting talking point with the other members.
I received the one I ordered from eBay today and it doesn’t look good it’s brown and soft like the ones you said you lost, anyway I’ll pop it in prop and see what happens… if it fails I will buy one from Peter White like Dave has.

Hope you get yours through the winter icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

stevieboy1 wrote:
Palmer wrote:Hi Rabbie,

That tuber is a pond plant called Sagittaria sagittifolia also called arrowhead.
I grow it in my pond on the allotment, bought it from my local chinese supermarket.
It tastes bland, with a starchy texture, similar to a potato but somewhat crunchier, even when cooked.
So they say!

Edit.....

Caution!! make sure you cook them first :lol:
Ingestion of raw tubers may cause fluxes, diarrhea, weakness and hemorrhoids.
Pregnant women should not eat them.
I wonder were i could find Sagittaria sagittifolia not seen that about but would look lovely growing in the corner of my pond I like the long pointed tropical type leaves it has very nice.

anyone know were ic an find them?? :lol: :lol:

regards
steve

Have a look at this Steve :lol: icon_thumright

oops.... try again http://www.brc.ac.uk/plantatlas/index.php?q=node/492
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Lmao well show how much notice I take when out don't remember seeing it lol :-)

Regards
Steve ;-)
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

The Chinese version is a little different to the UK one, it has broader leaves, red in the stem and the tubers/bulbs are much bigger.
You can also buy a dwarf version for small ponds, I think that comes from the US icon_scratch
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Palmer wrote:The Chinese version is a little different to the UK one, it has broader leaves, red in the stem and the tubers/bulbs are much bigger.
You can also buy a dwarf version for small ponds, I think that comes from the US icon_scratch
oh id like a dwarf version my pond is only small and that would do well in the side plant tank bit. :)

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

Blairs wrote:
Apart from the middle bulb, it looks like they have cut off the growing point of the bulb where the stalk comes out, so you will probably not get any Arrowheads coming up from those this year from those.
I have another two in the propagator one of which has a full undamaged growth point looks like its starting to move. Will use an old fishtank to keep these going, there will be arrowheads. icon_rabbit
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Just a few little questions..... I checked on the eddoes in the airing cubord today in there bags, some are starting to get clear little growing points starting to stick out but at the same time they seem to be getting a white fluffy mold here and there in patches. icon_scratch

will they grow ok is the mold somthing to worry about can I do anything to help? icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch

They were soaked in the peroxide water solution for around 7 hours to help prior to being bagged up.

even if I can oly get one to grow it will be worth it. icon_cheers

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

The growth points will form new plants, the main bulb will likely rot if the old main growth point doesnt start growing. But the new growths/plants should be ok.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My Eddoes that I left in the dark have started to sprout. :)