Eddoes and other eatable plants?

stevieboy1

Re: Eddoes and other eatable plants?

Post by stevieboy1 »

:lol: :lol: LOL :lol: :lol:

Glad you know what they are I knew the garlic oh and the water lol

I was wondering about the big roots as wanted to know if it would grow into anything nice? So what would theat great big Yam grow into???. icon_scratch after googling there are difrent types of yam lol.

regards
Steve :wink:
flounder

Post by flounder »

The yam I think is dioscorea something. A viney type thing. Never grown it myself but feel free to try it and post some photos of the results icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Oh I don't think I want a vine type thing no were to put it lol. I've got a poor red Passion flower in a pot as no were for it to climb yet. But in saying that with snow again it's a good job it not been stuck out to far from the house at mo. ;-)

Regards
Steve :-)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Last year I germinated 2 avocados from seed obtained from store-bought fruit, and one volunteer seedling popped up in a barrel where a seed had been chucked by my housemate. The first 2 are one variety and the volunteer is another.

They're been outside all the time and I guess I can say now that they've survived their first winter. The two that were subjected to hoar frost have some of their top leaves slightly burned, but they're okay otherwise and putting out leaf buds right now.

I don't think I'll ever get any fruit from them, but they're nice-looking evergreen trees and I might plant one in the ground this spring.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I tryed to grow an avacado once it grow for a bit then just up and died on me lol not tried since.
Recently i have tried to grow a pinaple top...no luck the center has rotted out so got frown away so a bit disapointed with that grrr. I did find a few seeds in the pinaple so have now got them in to germinate although im not hopfull but can try lol :lol:

regards
Steve. icon_thumleft
Barry

Post by Barry »

Well here's how my Eddoes are doing;

Time to pot up I think :)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

looking good barry. They will soon get going when potted up. icon_cheers

here are mine a week after I planted them

4 days after the last photo that was two days ago and they have already moved a bit more. icon_thumleft

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hiya all just a little eddoe update as you can see the first one is getting going the other two seem to be making slow but steady progress. :D

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

Nice Stevieboy,

Mine were in sealed bags for about 4 weeks, they had some roots, and i finally decided to pot them up. What conditions you keeping the pots in? What kind of soil? I have several edoes and colocasia. I believe the colocasia can eventually sit partially in the pond i have. But not sure how much water to give it at this early stage.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

What I have done is mix up a 50/50 mix of soul to fine grit for good drainage. I placed all the pots in a tray sitting on top of my large fishtank so the heat from the lights in the lid act as a heat may it really helps get them going. Also I placed a zip bag over the top of the pop help in place with an elastic band to keep the humidity nice and cosy in there I water them regulay at first to keep the soul moist.
Then when they started to grow some shoots and the roots started to appear at the bottom of the pots I now fill the tray with water so that stand in it all day and normally the water is gone in a day or so so re fill it. I suppose I fill the tray up to a depth of about a cm or so.
I'm only learning my self as these are my first attempts but so far they seem to be happy ;-)

Regards
Steve ;-)
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

ah crappe....
ive just potted them and left em near the radiator in the conservatory... temp around 12 ambient in there, should be warmer when radiator is on. but no covering on the pots......

ok, time to move em back indoors till they get going...... im running out of window sill space... :(
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I think the problem at the mo is the miserable weather :-( as soon as it finally decided to warm up and brighten up I will move them of the warm fish tank and to a window ledge then on to the garden when I know it's not going to be to cold etc. but for now they can stay we're they are they seem happy enough ;-)
Good luck with yours I'm sure they will get going if the have roots and some shoots then I don't see why they won't get going. I only put the Baggie over the pots till I see a nice shoot making good progress then I take them off :-)

Regards
Steve ;-)
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

fresh from India , 10 Suran and 3 dasheen from west indi

miketropic

Post by miketropic »

this is my pinapple that fruited last year. it has taken a beating this winter but I think it will be alright..I have since rooted the top and it is a very healthy plant more so than the original

Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

From the galangale root pack