Monstera Deliciosa Swiss Cheese Plant hardy?

stevieboy1

Monstera Deliciosa Swiss Cheese Plant hardy?

Post by stevieboy1 »

after doing a little sertching I came across seed for Monstera Deliciosa Swiss Cheese Plant. It says can be hardy (Mature plants have been reported to withstand -20°C and under !
Even small plants recover from severe frost damage.)

Is this true? could it suvive outside? Or is this a house plant? mabe can go out in summer.

I like the look of the leaves with all the splits and holes in them giving a very tropical effect.

any help and advice would be good. icon_thumleft Mabe a difrent strain veriaty?

I was looking thought the gallery on here and see some pics of some outside so just curious....cant be helped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Monstera Deliciosa Swiss Cheese Plant hardy?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Down to 0 yes. Subzero for more than a night no.
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

hey fella.

I have had a look for something on here - i remember a fairly long thread about this a couple of years back, but can't find it (someone who is a better searcher than me will probably have more luck!).

I think the upshot was a resounding 'no', but did kinda okay for VERY short time at just below freezing when they were bigger (they grow in Scicily, and it does get cold in the winter with frost not unheard of, but mediterranean cold, and our cold are very different (length of time, wet, cold days as well as nights etc). they're great plants though - and i think they're good fun in the garden for the summer.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Maybe your thinking of Philodendron "Hope"
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

well done, goggle - that was the one!

can't believe i remember it from that long ago!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

They definitely wont take -20C! -2C at a push but will suffer damage... I had one outside for a few years & at below 0C it lost its leaves (but they grew back the following summer) lower than -2C killed it... It was unprotected though, so if you were prepared to wrap it & protect it it may be possible...
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

well I was looking though pics and finding out what I can about them and then I came across the seed for sale thats were it said -20 and I thought that cant be right lol :lol: :roll: I mean ive seen plenty of cheese plants in the past but never outside...

I do like the look of the leaves might be somthing I will try down the line for a house plant and then mabe put it out in the summer etc.

Im just trying to work out what I could try and have out in the garden that might suvive the winters even if need protecting etc along with what would be ok outside for summer etc but need to be brought in. 8)

Its definatly interesting looking up all these exotic plants and Im finding so many new and realy nice looking things as I go.
its just a case of being practical and what will work and what wont. :wink:

regards
steve icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mollycoddled mine for years indoors ... now it goes out (in deep shade) for the summer and sits in the unheated conservatory for the Winter, and its been fine. I appreciate that this is nothing like a -20C experiment :) but its a heck of a lot colder than I had ever realised that they would tolerate.

Don't let them get sunburn in the summer though :)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I do like the look of them the big holes etc I just think its a rather atractive looking plant and would look nice tucked in somewere in the garden lol

here is the auction for the seed i found and yes I do agree that reported mature suviving -20 is unlikely lol even with damage lol :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380563268920? ... 1438.l2649

anyone know how quick these are to grow from seed?

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stevieboy1 wrote:anyone know how quick these are to grow from seed?
Might be worth looking out for one in the "houseplant" discount rack at your local shed(s) ?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Plunged in its pot or placed in an empty pot in the ground for the summer (shaded) and taken indoors for the winter, Mine have seen brief just below zero temps. Just hardy enough for that treatment.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Yeah i was wondering if I do gget one mabe plant the pot in the ground or have it in a nice pot that can stand out in the shade. there is quite a lot of shade in the garden so hopfully would be fine out in the summer and look nice indoors in winter so I can enjoy it all year. 8) I want one now lol

now were to find one unless it will grow from seed ok??

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ikea have these in fairly regularly, I've seen 6ft plants in 20L pots for £20 in the past and I bought a 3ft in a 5L pot for a friend about 4 years ago for a fiver.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Ikea have these in fairly regularly, I've seen 6ft plants in 20L pots for £20 in the past and I bought a 3ft in a 5L pot for a friend about 4 years ago for a fiver.
Dont think there are any Ikea around here the nearest is over essex bit far for me. :roll: I shall keep my eyes open though. :wink:

regards
Steve icon_thumleft