How are those Washys doing?

cordyman

Re: How are those Washys doing?

Post by cordyman »

cannondale28 wrote:I'm sure I've posted this photo on here before but this one is in the small garden of Waitrose in Salisbury, Wilts.
Some people here are from Portsmouth and Southampton and the difference between there and (inland) Salisbury is quite considerable.
The only protection is the shop and the canopy overhead which half covers the plant.
This Washy has been in that situation since the shop was open, probably 5-10 years ago. Amazing how it survives.

thats a great example of how well a washy can survive when undercover!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Here's mine. Rubbish pic as I can't stand back far enough to get the whole plant in, but at least you can see some of it :lol:
Attachments
Portsmouth-20130208-00806.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nathan wrote:Here's mine. Rubbish pic as I can't stand back far enough to get the whole plant in, but at least you can see some of it :lol:

how old is that Nathan?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Here's mine. Been out all winter, so looking a bit sad but very much alive.
Washingtonia Robusta
Washingtonia Robusta
kracker

Post by kracker »

A lot of my leaves looking like the sad one too the right so today a good soaking and a back and sides one leaf and he spear to be precise
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

cordyman wrote:
Nathan wrote:Here's mine. Rubbish pic as I can't stand back far enough to get the whole plant in, but at least you can see some of it :lol:

how old is that Nathan?
Was planted out in 2002 when it was 18 inches high...
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The picture under the supermarket roof shows perfectly that unless you live in a very mild coastal location, like Nathan, that Washingtonias do and look best when protected during Winter.

I protect mine every Winter now as there is nothing worse than when the warmer weather arrives and you have to look at a Washingtonia, or Phoenix for that matter, that takes at least half the Summer to look good again.

I used to chance mine without protection every Winter and most Winters my Washingtonias would survive but every Spring I would have the same result, a frost damaged palm tree.

Nathan your one looks fantastic.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Im in two minds whether to plant mine out this year. I may keep it as a decking potted specimen. If it takes till half way through summer to look good planted out would be an eyesore. I keep it now in the plastic unheated greenhouse with a fleece bag over permanently and it stays green
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nathan wrote:
cordyman wrote:

how old is that Nathan?
Was planted out in 2002 when it was 18 inches high...

nice growth icon_cheers

Heres my potted washy, in an unheated plastic greenhouse with a fleece bag over it all winter.

Just goes to show they are happy being fleeced all winter

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

This was my Washingtonia in 2003...
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I can not show a picture because still have no camera but mine has been slowly pushing out growth in my heated greenhouse min 10c, it has just finished its second leaf. But three smaller ones right near it have not really moved and they receive exactly the same light and heat, the only thing that is different is the big one has been in the same pot for a couple of years and the smaller ones were potted at the start of last summer.
Si

Post by Si »

I forgot all about this - Nathan's in the best spot for this tree, looking good ;-)
I've tried and failed miserably with this.
You should talk the council into getting them along the streets there.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

My triple trunk is looking fine under its rain canopy although there is some frost damage on a couple of leaves. Last year I fleeced the sides of the shelter and didn't have any damage.

On the coldest of nights I have just wrapped fleece around the growing points.