Cyathea still growing!!

Tom2006

Cyathea still growing!!

Post by Tom2006 »

I have been checking on my Cyathea (small cooperi and a larger 10" trunked Medularis) and to my surprise they are very slowly STILL putting out fronds. :shock: :shock: It has to be said, this is in my heated polyhouse, but I'm talking heating at just above freezing point so I am amazed there is any growth at all. Not that I am complaining, but just curious to know if this is normal?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Re: Cyathea still growing!!

Post by greendragon »

I have a Cyathea in a conservatory which is kept above 10*c and that one is growing very well.

When they ship tree ferns over from Australia they are refrigerated to stop them growing (2*c).
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My recovering 2ft C Med is starting to grow. :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom, mine haven't stopped at all ,albeit at a very much slower rate. Even a D.A. has put a new frond out.... :shock:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

It’s not too surprising when you consider they come from cool mountainous areas!
Active growth will start slowly at about 5c and when temps get to 10-15c that’s an ideal growing temperature for most of these tree ferns.
Because the Cyathea have started growing they will be using up water though… so make sure the potting compost doesn’t go dry on them, that’s a big killer for Cyatheas.
pdid

Post by pdid »

brownii.jpg
icon_thumright
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

From what I have read tree ferns grow best at 25*c. Most websites state this and it has been my expierience from seing a medullaris in a heated conservatory. 10-15*c is a severe underestimate, these are subtropical plants, 10-15*c is their winter temperature. Though trying to keep the humidity up over 80% indoors with the temperature around 25*c can be a challenge.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Pdid that C cooperi looks healthy for this time of year, ow do you look after it :?:
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

fern Rob wrote:Pdid that C cooperi looks healthy for this time of year, ow do you look after it :?:
you can see it's in a conservatory
:)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

greendragon wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Pdid that C cooperi looks healthy for this time of year, ow do you look after it :?:
you can see it's in a conservatory
:)
I didn't notice :lol:
pdid

Post by pdid »

As said it`s in a conservatory gobbling up loads of water kept between 10 and 20 deg. And it`s a Brownii BTW icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It looks just like my C cooperi, what is the difference between them.
My cooperi was in the conservatory but I could not get it to grow like that.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Cyathea brownii is very closely related to Cyathea cooperi although differs slightly in appearance. The hairs covering the stipes on Cyathea brownii are a sandy colour and dense whereas with Cyathea cooperi the hairs go from dark at the base to a lighter brown. The other difference is that Cyathea brownii grows to be a lot bigger, possibly the largest tree ferns species in the world. Botanists think that the reason for these subtle differences are down to evolution.
Taken from http://www.forestferns.co.uk/tree-ferns ... ea-brownii

It`s taller and blonder. :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

pdid wrote:
Cyathea brownii is very closely related to Cyathea cooperi although differs slightly in appearance. The hairs covering the stipes on Cyathea brownii are a sandy colour and dense whereas with Cyathea cooperi the hairs go from dark at the base to a lighter brown. The other difference is that Cyathea brownii grows to be a lot bigger, possibly the largest tree ferns species in the world. Botanists think that the reason for these subtle differences are down to evolution.
Taken from http://www.forestferns.co.uk/tree-ferns ... ea-brownii

It`s taller and blonder. :lol: :lol:
Well my cooperi which was a direct import from Australia is identical and is sandy coloured from top to bottom of the leaf base. :?
I'm not sure now :lol:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

greendragon wrote:From what I have read tree ferns grow best at 25*c. Most websites state this and it has been my expierience from seing a medullaris in a heated conservatory. 10-15*c is a severe underestimate, these are subtropical plants, 10-15*c is their winter temperature. Though trying to keep the humidity up over 80% indoors with the temperature around 25*c can be a challenge.

If you read what I have said again! (Active growth will start slowly at about 5c and when temps get to 10-15c that’s an ideal growing temperature for most of these tree ferns)
I’m tying pointing out that past… 10-15 degrees, most Cyathea will resume a normal rate of growth!
I haven’t talked about optimum temperatures or specific species.
In the wild most Cyathea never go dormant because temps don’t get lower then 10c... there in active growth all year round!!

greendragon wrote:I have a Cyathea in a conservatory which is kept above 10*c and that one is growing very well.

When they ship tree ferns over from Australia they are refrigerated to stop them growing (2*c).
You appear to be agreeing with what I have said here :?