TRex snuffed it

The Codfather

TRex snuffed it

Post by The Codfather »

:(

Had a look down the garden and the stem has gone soft and mushy...........the worst thing is I give my spare away !.

is it worth trying to see if I can get a root cutting from it ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: TRex snuffed it

Post by Dave Brown »

Didn't think it was possible, you'd better tell everyone how you've done it, for when they get overrun. :lol:

Seriously the only thing that seems to see them off is bad drainage, they just can't hack that. If the growing point had gone they normally throw up a few dozen pups to make up for it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

If the roots are viable, it should re-shoot from below ground anyway, so no need to dig any up.

What kind of temps have you had to do that damage, and how big was it? In the past I have lost the previous years stem growth around -10C but this winter and last they have not even lost the growing bud. I never protect them.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

As mentioned-if the top dies they will come back from the roots.

Even in z5 here I practically had a forest of them return...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

They appear to be like Fatsia in how they grow, what is the main differences. :D
grub

Post by grub »

Mine branched after I lost the growing point as well as pupping...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Do you cut off the dead growing point and put sulphur powder on it or does it sap over on its own, just wondered how far they die back.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

The Codfather wrote::(

Had a look down the garden and the stem has gone soft and mushy...........the worst thing is I give my spare away !.

pictures?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

congratulations Coddy icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
now you can really live up to the father thing,you're going to be a daddy, to hundreds of baby coddyrexes icon_thumleft icon_thumleft :lol: :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

The Codfather wrote::(

Sorry to hear about that Coddy. I got my first one off springy. Its in a pot and been indoors a couple of months now. All was fine until a few days ago and now all of the leaves are shrivelling up. Is that normal? Or too much water?

Not much look and it aint been outside yet.. If i cant keep this alive, theres no chance for me. May :lol: as well by plastic plants.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I lost the growing point on one before some pups came up later in the summer .Mine was a bad transplant with not much roots
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kohwoz wrote: I got my first one off springy. Its in a pot and been indoors a couple of months now. All was fine until a few days ago and now all of the leaves are shrivelling up. Is that normal? Or too much water?

Not much look and it aint been outside yet.. If i cant keep this alive, theres no chance for me. May :lol: as well by plastic plants.
Is it a dry atmosphere inside kohwoz ? TRex comes from damp mountain areas and the leaves probably won't like heated indoors. I'd get it outside while above freezing. If you overwater the leaves wilt/droop like crazy, you couldn't miss that.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kohwoz »

Dave Brown wrote:
kohwoz wrote: I got my first one off springy. Its in a pot and been indoors a couple of months now. All was fine until a few days ago and now all of the leaves are shrivelling up. Is that normal? Or too much water?

Is it a dry atmosphere inside kohwoz ? TRex comes from damp mountain areas and the leaves probably won't like heated indoors. I'd get it outside while above freezing. If you overwater the leaves wilt/droop like crazy, you couldn't miss that.

Hi Dave,
Inside the house it isn't dry, the temp is at 19 deg C and the Hygro meter says 43%. I guess its from overwatering. The soil underneath is wet and i can see the new little white roots poking out the bottom of the pot.

We are still in subzero temps here. Not been over plus for the last 2 weeks. It would die outside pretty quickly.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What low temps have you had coddy? Mine has gotten through 96 hours of constant freeze. Lowest -10c. Stem is intact and grow point protected by a. Cut off pop bottle wrapped in fleece.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Don't worry it will pup, mine did even after-15 in 2010. I've got spare one you can have if it doesn't pup.