Inspiration as to what can be achieved,Yucca elephantipes.

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Inspiration as to what can be achieved,Yucca elephantipes.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Giant Yucca Elephanties in Wallasey on the Wirral. This is the yucca with softish leaves and sold as a houseplant on a sturdy trunk in the UK. It must be at least 50 years old maybe 100 judging by how many trunk splits it has and the girth of the base. It is at least 7 Feet tall.
Attachments
yuccaelepanties.jpg
Last edited by cheshirepalms on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Inspiration as to what can be achieved,Yucca Elephanties

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'd imagine that was bought recent;y as a mature specimen. I can't imagine how that would have survived 2010 outside.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Not a chance unless it was sent in a 6 foot by 4 foot wide pot :lol: With all due respect to whoever lives there, I don't think they have a garden budget close to 4 figures to buy a plant that size.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I'd imagine that was bought recent;y as a mature specimen. I can't imagine how that would have survived 2010 outside.
There is one near my place very similar size that has survived 2010
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There is no way it's been brought recently.. no way. I can tell.. the thing has been defoliated by winters in the past. 2010 would not have affected this part of Wirral, but at some time in the past it has been cut back somewhat.. the fact it's been cut back to top growth means the ownders knew what they were doing.

There's no way the crowns of leaves would be that big if it was cut back in 2010, you need at least 5 years..

What is certain is that it has been battered by winters in the past.. 1981 or 1987, perhaps 1963.. but the trunk is thicker than you might expect, probably due to the cut backs. I imagine this has been much much taller in the past.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I planted a few trunked yucca's in my dads garden several years ago.

In cold winters they get cut down but regrow again from the base.

Some milder winters they survive unscathed.

It would be great to have a mature specimen such as the one pictured but it certainly wouldn't survive the exposed fen winds in winter.

Certainly inspirational but not attainable.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

I didnt realise they were so tough.I nearly get a hernia every year when bringing them back indoors.Having seen that one i may be tempted to keep them outdoors for longer now.
fern Rob

Re: Inspiration as to what can be achieved,Yucca elephantipe

Post by fern Rob »

They grow really fast.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

fern Rob wrote:They grow really fast.
Not from my experience.. certainly wouldn't put full size heads on within a few years. Anyhow given the size of the specimen, I doubt it's lived for however many years, and suddenly been cut back by a relatively insignficant winter like 2010. That said, it could well have been cut back by the owners because it was getting too big, we really don't know that full story behind this (the cuts are straight cuts, so someone has cut alot of the growth off)... being able to know would be very handy.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

theres a garden round here full of yucca's must have 20+, all survived 09/10.

I'll try and get some pics one day
shanks

Post by shanks »

i have seen one in warrington about that size,
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

the ones near me might be a mix of cordys and yuccas, but not sure what species yucca?.

If you look carefully there are quite a lot behind the hedge too

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes that looks like it has been damaged by cold in the past, been cut back, then re-sprouted new 'heads' as they are very small for the size of the trunks...

Yucca elephantipes are very common garden plants round here & there are some huge ones about, strange when you think they are sold as houseplants, so most must have outgrown their interior positions then been planted outside by people who assumed were hardy lol
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

stephenprudence wrote:
fern Rob wrote:They grow really fast.
Not from my experience.. certainly wouldn't put full size heads on within a few years. Anyhow given the size of the specimen, I doubt it's lived for however many years, and suddenly been cut back by a relatively insignficant winter like 2010. That said, it could well have been cut back by the owners because it was getting too big, we really don't know that full story behind this (the cuts are straight cuts, so someone has cut alot of the growth off)... being able to know would be very handy.
I would say it most likely has not grow that big outside and is more likley a new addition to a garden but they grow quick and fast in a greenhouse.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

anyone growing one of these will know how fast they are,regularly needing pruning if in a conseratory etc icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure