Nelumbo Nucifera

Sal73

Nelumbo Nucifera

Post by Sal73 »

Hi All , I`ve been looking to grow a lotus flower for the last 3 seasons , with no luck at all ,
I`ve been reading all the old thread of the forum and to be honest , I`ve managed the same , with the difference that
even the russian lutus , die in winter ...........
my question did anyone have managed to see a flower in UK?????
will it flower ?
thank you all
Chad

Re: Nelumbo Nucifera

Post by Chad »

2011_08142Aug0003small.JPG
That was Mrs Perry D Slocum in August last year.

They should be reliably winter hardy if they have made enough growth the year before.

The trigger for flowering is a number [which varies by variety] of hours with the water temperature above 21C.

That is most easily achieved by planting in a black plastic tub. They need a lot of feed and a hot summer.

In Cornwall I achieve that like this!
2011_08142Aug0001small.JPG
Chad.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Chad thank you for the hope , it will be really hard over here , but at least there is a chance ,
last summer the water didn`t even reach 16c , that`s why they shivered and die .

do you know any supplyer?
got the seeds , but another failer will put me off
thank you again.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I am posting this link again, check it out :wink:
http://www.nymphaion.de/shop/lotosblume ... gpp87cd020
Chad

Post by Chad »

Mine came from Country Lovers' link.

A bit of a hassle though. They don't take plastic and you order online; take time of work to get to a post office and send a money order; then get an e-mail from them saying it has worked.

The rhizomes arrived promptly after that in perfect condition.

Of the 6 I bought though two didn't match the description. I'm hoping they were 'atypical' in their first year and will match this year. Certainly they went from single noses to a tub full in one year; so I'm hoping for great things this year.

Note my Cornish solution to the summer temperature is to grow them in a polytunnel!

Chad.
grayk2

Nelumbo Nucifera

Post by grayk2 »

[media][media]Hi
I've just re-joined Hardy Tropicals - mainly to get some help in getting my Nelumbo Komarovii and Nucifera to flower. I grow them in trugs in a south facing greenhouse (I live in Leicester,UK). I get lots of aerial leaves but no flowers. The RHS suggested they were not getting enough light, but whilst I can heat the water in the greenhouse it's not so easy if I put the trugs outside. Any suggestions please ?
Attachments
notus aerial leaves.JPG
Chad

Nelumbo Nucifera

Post by Chad »

I hadn't realised how hungry they are.

They seemed to need a lot of feed and fresh compost each spring.

I gave mine away! Too much like hard work for the few flowers I got.

Chad