Beat The Weather Depression!

flounder

Re: Beat The Weather Depression!

Post by flounder »

real_ale wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:
flounder wrote:288 days to Christmas!! icon_cheers

Is that real,where did you get that from:ahhh!:
It can't be real, he does it again and again and...
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There's not much to be positive about when potentially a third of Spring, and potentially a sizeable chunk of the growing season is going to be aborted, then don't forget the higher than even chance of colder the average summer.. this surely is the worst growing period for a few decades..!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

stephenprudence wrote:There's not much to be positive about when potentially a third of Spring, and potentially a sizeable chunk of the growing season is going to be aborted, then don't forget the higher than even chance of colder the average summer.. this surely is the worst growing period for a few decades..!
Seems to get worse every year. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of getting enough money together to escape the British climate and live somewhere warm and sunny.

icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:There's not much to be positive about when potentially a third of Spring, and potentially a sizeable chunk of the growing season is going to be aborted, then don't forget the higher than even chance of colder the average summer.. this surely is the worst growing period for a few decades..!

I aint worried, too optimistic, officially it ain't Spring till the 20th is it this month?

Its going to be an absolute scorcher this year Stephen icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Conifers wrote:
Deedee wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: At Cordys cat :lol: :lol: :lol:
But where's the cat gone :?: :?: :shock:

He landed in the snow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

cordyman wrote:

I aint worried, too optimistic, officially it ain't Spring till the 20th is it this month?

Its going to be an absolute scorcher this year Stephen icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
I dont really go by astrological Spring when dealing with climatics, only meteorological spring.

Overly optimistic results in a heavier fall when it all goes wrong.. so I dont do unfounded optimism :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

We could have months of unbroken 20C+ temps this summer. If so this will seem like a short bad dream. Then again, we could have a repeat of last "summer"....in which case I will look into a charter flight to Oz so we can all emigrate!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The key to creating a fine exotic garden in the UK is to have a good spread of plants. Last Summer was great for Trachycarpus and Bamboos. It wasn't all that great for the heat loving plants but if the backbone of the garden is constructed of plants that do well in poor Summers, then it will always look good, and through every season.

Lamorran gardens in Cornwall is a classic example of this, they don't really have a heat loving plant in the whole garden and it looks fantastic! I know they can get away with CIDPs there, but the vast majority of the garden is Trachycarpus Fortuneii and Dicksonia, they have hundreds and it looks amazing!
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Last night has put me in a real good mood, its amazing what can cheer you up. After waiting over 14 months my trachycarpus princeps and takil seeds have all started popping and I have had nearly 100% sucsess on them. A week of ago I moved them to a different propagator after checking them and none had germinated then in the space of that week when I checked them again last night sucsess icon_cheers
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Great news JBally with the trachycarpus seeds, I love watching things germinate. All my vegetable seeds are popping up and I'm going to investigate these canna seeds everyone's raving about.

I've had temperatures of +15c in hampshire the last couple of days... in my greenhouse though!

Could really do with a conservatory as there's not enough room in my greenhouse to sit down.. :lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

JBALLY wrote:Last night has put me in a real good mood, its amazing what can cheer you up. After waiting over 14 months my trachycarpus princeps and takil seeds have all started popping and I have had nearly 100% sucsess on them. A week of ago I moved them to a different propagator after checking them and none had germinated then in the space of that week when I checked them again last night sucsess icon_cheers
Thats nice Trachycarpus takil germinates whell there. I have here arround 80 seedlings now. From Kalamuni seeds I collected in 2011.

Alexander
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I know I have read a lot about your experiences in that region and with the plant on here and another forum. It was posts like yours that have prompted me to get these seeds to try to grow this palm, that and I am a palm nutter.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

The first flowers are out on one of my Cherry Trees, it isn't dark until 6.30 and just two weeks to go to the clocks going forward. :D