trachys planted in lines

Panama Pete

trachys planted in lines

Post by Panama Pete »

I came across this house in Nottingham. I thought planting in lines may not look very good, but it actually looks a good theme!!
Attachments
IMG00054-20130204-0903.jpg
Tom2006

Re: tracheys planted in lines

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks great to me, but they are far too close to the house. Cracking specimens though.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

This is what im planning to do in my garden, at the garden at east ruston in norfolk they use them to line either side of a path, which also works well.
kata

Post by kata »

I have planned my big one and the small ones in a group,

They look nice though in a line like solders... :lol:

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's a great look but, given the option, I'd much rather have a natural look than regimented.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

A single straight line is all they have space for!

Well I suppose they could knock the house down to make space for a natural group :lol:
J4MES

Post by J4MES »

Looks good to me! Does seem really close to the house though, are trachycarpus roots as invasive as other trees? I.e would they cause damage to foundations that close to the house?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

looks good to me, imagine waking up with a Trachycarpus leave tapping on your window BLISS icon_salut

we need the obligotory streetview, bing streetwalk comparisons over the years now GOGOGOOG icon_salut
kata

Post by kata »

looks good to me, imagine waking up with a Trachycarpus leave tapping on your window BLISS
Mine has done that all winter.

I had to move it..very errie in the middle of the night..tap tap..lemmie in........ :lol: :lol:
dorothy

Re: trachys planted in lines

Post by dorothy »

I like it as well. Wouldn't look right to me in a back garden but as a formal entrance to a house, I think it looks great :D
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Thats what i want to do along the side of the fence when it is finally there..Just waiting for this weather to go away so i can get cracking.. In between some farg robusta campbell perhaps.

I LIKE icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

I have got more Trachys then that planted in the front of my house and down the side as well.

I think that house in Nottingham looks great and more people on this forum can if they have the room do the same.

A lot of palm trees in Vancouver are planted like that and the effect is quite exotic.

Also planting in threes in a center circle looks good as well.

Unless planted over drains those palms pose no problems to the foundations of that house and shouldn't do so in the future.

My palms are close to my house and up to now haven't been a problem.

billdango :D
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Yep if I had a front garden I would def do it
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sometimes formality looks good, in this case I think it looks excellent, I would plant them like that.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

cordyman wrote:looks good to me, imagine waking up with a Trachycarpus leave tapping on your window BLISS
Sounds like that scene in Salem's Lot with the boy floating in the air and scraping the window with his finger! That film still scares me!