Sasa Palmata

daftbanana

Sasa Palmata

Post by daftbanana »

Anybody know a good place to buy Sasa Palmata Bamboo online please? It looks very exotic with it's large, glossy foliage although I believe it's one of the more 'invasive' spreaders so probably best kept pot bound?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Sasa Palmata

Post by Dave Brown »

Anyone that sells you Sasa palmata is not good. It will sit there for a couple of years, all goodness and light, then the thug in it comes out. It is the most aggressive, tenacious weed, and once you have it, you have it for life.

The rhizomes go in all directions, with some being deeper than a fork depth, and any bits the break off form new plants. Plant this at your peril.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm stil trying to get rid of mine from many years ago. Thought I'd finally got rid of it and what suspiciously looks like this 'bamboo' has come up about 10 ft. away nestling right next to my black bamboo. It's gonna be a nightmare to get rid of it from there I think :(

But saying all that it does look a nice bamboo, and put another piece in a big tub about 6 maybe more years ago, and so far hasn't escaped. It maybe just biding it's time.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Probably okay to grow it in a big thick plastic pot buried in the ground.

http://www.hartcanna.com/#nohandle
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Palm Centre sell it, I planted 2 of them in my grandmother's garden in a border right next to a massive lawn.
http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Sasa-palma ... a-_SPN.htm

:twisted:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have mine in a trough. Crocus sells it - 9124 is the 10% off code for this month but check online and use Quidco etc.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I bought Pseudosasa Japonica supposedly not a thug. There was nothing pseudo about it. Even though a small plant it was sending out runners upto 10' in all directions within a year. Avoid.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've got it in a big plastic pot but wouldn't dare bury it. I have it sat on a paving slab on top of block paving.

If I see any runners coming over the top I will plant them in local MPs gardens and call it the bullsh*t tax.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Don't do it, you'll be very very sorry. Although a lovely bamboo it will not just take over your garden but the whole county! :shock:
dino

Post by dino »

I've got one in a big black metal container and it looks great
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

DAVIDEVANS wrote:I bought Pseudosasa Japonica supposedly not a thug. There was nothing pseudo about it. Even though a small plant it was sending out runners upto 10' in all directions within a year. Avoid.
Pseudosasa japonica has been fine for me up here.

Over 9 years in the ground and it has formed a nice big clump. Mind you, my soil is rubbish and so is my climate and that probably explains why it is stunted in comparison to the experience of others down south.

Even so, I would not risk Sasa palmata up here.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I to have a small patch of Pseudosasa japonica but it hasnt been in the ground long enough for me to say if it is a bad one or not. hope it behaves itself and I don't have to go and try to remove it. I have seen places here in the US if the bamboo gets to bad they will set it on fire and try and set it back a bit
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I have a hedge of Pseudosasa japonica at the bottom of my garden wedged between a brick wall and large stones and paving slabs.

noticed a couple of weeks back three rhizomes had squeezed through between the concrete and the wall and the fence post and the wall into the neighbours garden.

now I am a little nervous. they were a couple of feet long, hanging in mid air.
if the ground level on the neighbours side wasn't a couple of feet lower than my side they would have been off.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

drunken_smilie1
Mr List wrote:I have a hedge of Pseudosasa japonica at the bottom of my garden wedged between a brick wall and large stones and paving slabs.

noticed a couple of weeks back three rhizomes had squeezed through between the concrete and the wall and the fence post and the wall into the neighbours garden.

now I am a little nervous. they were a couple of feet long, hanging in mid air.
if the ground level on the neighbours side wasn't a couple of feet lower than my side they would have been off.
I have some in a tub and was considering planting out as it dries out so quick.
After reading that it can stay in the tub lol. My soils pretty good so it would probably run like mad.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I have it planted either end of one of my raised planters, last year I found a few pieces popping up away from the mother plants icon_rambo, personally don't think its the prettiest bamboo, gets a bit wind damaged and scruffy imo, wish I had opted for something else now.