Technicoloured Strawberries

Troppoz

Technicoloured Strawberries

Post by Troppoz »

Now I not they are not usually considered 'exotic', but has anyone had any experience with growing black, yellow or white strawberries?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Strawberry-S ... 2a2a7fdea8

Im tempted to give them a try, but they are looking a bit expensive just for seed.

Has anyone grown, eaten or seen strawberries that arent red? Also any tips for germinating strawberry seeds if I do decide to lash out?
Sal73

Re: Technicoloured Strawberries

Post by Sal73 »

Hi Troppaz , i was looking at those myself , got the white strawberry myself , 2 plants at half price , the yellow it`s only a tiny variety of the alpine and the black apparently is just available in China , that is a bit suspicious i reckon that is just an ox ......perhaps there is a purple varity

overall there is a really nice variegated form of the indian strawberry .

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/ ... uin/8384TM
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

No but I am going to have a go at Zea Japonica. It's a corn with multicoloured cobs and the plants are variegated. Not exotic either but should add some interesting foliage to the plan.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Sal what does the yellow one taste like? is it any different to a normal strawberry in flavour? Ive never tasted an alpine strawberry either, just the common red strawberry.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:Has anyone grown, eaten or seen strawberries that arent red?
Had some from shops that were green, and they're not nice to eat icon_aaargh

Anyway strawberries are supposed to be red, like post office boxes. Anything else just isn't right. icon_salut :roll: :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Were they a green variety or just unripe strawberries? icon_scratch

I like unconventionality, a bit of colour brightens your day icon_colors
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:Were they a green variety or just unripe strawberries? icon_scratch
Just unripe . . . typical British fruit producers :evil:
Troppoz wrote:I like unconventionality, a bit of colour brightens your day icon_colors
Nice idea, let's apply that to car brake lights :lol:
Steph

Post by Steph »

We first saw Alpine strawberries at Beth Chattos garden where they grew wild, we scrumped one each half expecting to get poisoned but survived, they tasted nice enough, quite intense but were very small.

Last year I acquired a pot of them on Freecycle, the donor said to me she had to get shot of some 'cos once they start growing they spread everywhere, hopping from pot to pot amongst her plants...

I can't wait... looking forward to it!

I intend to put them into a strawberry pot for starters, never could make standard size plants grow in there.
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Troppoz wrote:Sal what does the yellow one taste like? is it any different to a normal strawberry in flavour? Ive never tasted an alpine strawberry either, just the common red strawberry.
the white actually taste like a pinapple , the yellow actully taste like an alpine strawberry ....how can I DESCRIBE
doesn`t taste like the common strawberry , but more like a combination of pinapple and strawberry , sort of unique taste really .
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Pineapple favoured strawberries? YUM!

OK its decided then, I must have them! :DD
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Conifers wrote:
Troppoz wrote:Has anyone grown, eaten or seen strawberries that arent red?
Had some from shops that were green, and they're not nice to eat icon_aaargh

Anyway strawberries are supposed to be red, like post office boxes. Anything else just isn't right. icon_salut :roll: :lol:
what icon_scratch all our post office boxs are blue
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote:
Conifers wrote:Had some from shops that were green, and they're not nice to eat icon_aaargh

what icon_scratch all our post office boxs are blue
Ah, the rebellious colonies, they had to go and change things! :lol:
(pic from Wiki Commons, by BazzaDaRambler CC-BY license)
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Ah, but we were true to the Motherland :lol:
Attachments
4f586a3793922.jpg
4f586a3793922.jpg (16.86 KiB) Viewed 749 times